Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
discussion brassica

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 13:17

For those interested, I give some experience with naturalized brassica species:

At one site, 3 different brassicas have been naturalized together for at least four years without crossing, so far as I can tell. These are Red Russian kale (B.Napus), Giant Red Mustard (B.Juncea), and common field mustard self-introduced as a weed. Presumably this latter is B.Nigra. I have not attemted to naturalize a B.Olereaca there but it would be a useful extension of the experiment to try a well-adapted olereaca kale. My suspicion is that Olereaca cultivars in general do not do as well in difficult circumstances, at least in this climate with warm buggy summers and moderate winters. In a much colder climate they would likely prevail.

In any case, the gene pools of Napus, Juncea, and Nigra seem to be very stable and isolated for practical purposes. I bring up this topic for the more average gardener to take advantage of the ease of saving seed from Brassica and point out that one can easily save seed from all the common groups simultaneously presuming the limitation of one cultivar per species.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: discussion brassica

I have had Red Russian and Nero di Toscana going by self seeding for a few years. But I don't keep records so I can't say exactly how long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here