Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I need a filter for my muni water

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:40

What's a good, economical hose filter for my crappy municipal water. I know the ph is way high(8.1), but it's all the other crap I'm sure that's in it that is probably, slowly but surely, deteriorating my soil food web as the season goes along.

Or would it just be cheaper to make up compost tea ever couple weeks to keep the microbes in the soil?

Where should I shop?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I need a filter for my muni water

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 15:00

I think the best protection is lots of organic matter for chemical buffering. I have yet to water this year, but for sure my tap water is not great (pH=9.2). In my water, there re about 30,000 ppm of Ca, a larger amount of CaCO3, and 0.6 ppm of Cl. I have no doubt that it is the Ca, and not the Cl, that makes it worse.

o

So if you really want a filter in your hose, I do have a way. I have a drip hose that runs from my a/c condensation and do this for it. It gets out most heavy metals, chlorine and all that. Not going to do much for bacteria, but you really don't need to worry about that.
Buy a britta water bottle replacement filter. One like this: https://www.brita.com/products/replacement-filters/bottle-filters-2-pack/
They are long and skinny and about the exact width of a hose. put a rim of caulk around the filters top and shove it into the hose. The caulk will dry and form a seal so that all water must pass through your filter as it exits the hose. Just pull it out after about 3-6 months and replace as needed.

o

One problem with trying to filter water in a hose is the flow rate. You can certainly keep up with hose flow if you are using a particle filter, the pleated paper kind, but if you want to treat water, say with a carbon filter, you will have so little contact time that the only result will be a waste of pressure.

o

grubby_me, have you ever seen how a britta carbon filter works? There is not impeding of the water flow and the filtration is instant based on charged carbon ions. You would be correct if you were talking about block filters that require pressure, but the item i am mentioning is a loose carbon based filtration. These do significantly reduce chlorine and other chemicals.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 12:25

Of course, one is left with the problem of giving pressure to the water coming out of a Brita filter. Drip will not work, a soaker hose will not work, and a handheld hose will not work. Only flooding will work.

o

Try an RV filter that attaches to the end of the hose. They aren't that expensive, but they don't last very long if you go through a lot of gallons watering.

o

Ok one last try here: The brita filter i listed is not a drip, it is a full flow, no impeding. These are free flow driven and are instant filtration. Obviously previous posters do not know how a britta filter works and must not own one. They filter just as fast as you can pour water through them.

LAST TRY:

This filter will not slow your flow!

o

Neither will an RV filter, and for plants you don't want to filter out all the minerals that a Brita will remove.

o

I am not sure that it is worth it, unless you can tell that you need it or there is a great improvement somehow. Maybe the RV filter or something like that, but for the most part a filter that attaches to a hose may not filter very much that hasn't already been filtered out of drinking water. If you really wanted to you could get large containers like rain barrels and a filter system that fills the barrels, more slowly than a garden hose would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here