Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

How do we feel about dipel dust?

Mindyw3
12 years ago

I am very tempted. I've used DE which did a whole lot of nothing. All my brassicas and radishes are gone and they arre starting on the tomatoes. All my ccurbits are gone too except the melons.I'm brewing some pepper tea but I dopn't think it will be enough. Next year we are buying praying mantis, lady bugs and bees!!!

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

After we know who is "they," or what "they" are doing, we can offer an opinion.

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hornworms, caterpillers etc. Little cute wormy things.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Dipel (Bacillus thuringiensis-kurstaki) is very helpful in controlling caterpillars, as long as they (the caterpillars) are very young.

• feijoas
    12 years ago

bt is pretty safe and effective.
    I imagine if you're in the USA, it's pretty hot right now...
    brassicas are generally a cool-season crop. Are they planted for autumn/winter?
    Whenever I've planted brassicas out of season, they've been stripped by white butterfly caterpillars.
    It also takes a while for parasitic wasps to get going and killing off all their dinner has its own set of consequences!

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

I can find nothing that says Diamotaceous Earth is appropriate for Tomato Hornworms, Cabbage Loopers, Imported Cabbage Worms, etc. so the wrong material was used to try to control these.
    Bacillus thuringiensis - Kurstaki, which Dipel is, could be effective when used at the proper time. Insect control starts with using the right methods at the right time. It is a learning process that takes some time.

• Me112233
    12 years ago

The diatomaceous? earth wouldn't help with a catepillar problem, at least not in a timely manner. Typically you use diatomaceous earth for critters that spend much of their time crawling around on the ground. I've never heard of local gardeners employing diatomaceous earth in their veggie gardens, though it might be helpful if you have a slug prolbem in your garden.

I have used bacillus thuringiensis (aka Dipel dust, Thuricide) for many years. It works wonders in controlling all sorts of chewing critters. The plants seem to be oblivious to the dust, meaning I've never experienced plant toxicity related to an overdose. It doesn't affect bees (bees don't chew on your plants). And since the stuff is wholly non-toxic to warm blooded animals, you don't have to concern yourself with hurting your pets or children or any residues that manage to make their way onto your dining room table.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Me, your information regarding Dipel and Thuricide is not 'quite' accurate. It doesn't control all sorts of chewing pests....caterpillars ONLY. And not chewing larvae that sort of look like caterpillars, such as sawfly larvae. Only the larvae of moths and butterflies, skippers, hairstreaks and all of their cousins are susceptible to this very specific form of biological control.

Again, Bt is effective when these larvae are young, so it pays to keep inspecting your plants for eggs and tiny hatchlings. Lepidopteran eggs are about the size of the head of a pin. Thus, the baby caterpillars are pretty darned small, but we rarely think to look for them at that stage.