Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetocook9

JK (Joraform) 125 & 270 Composters-Experience?

lovetocook9
14 years ago

Has anyone had experience with the Joraform Composters? My husband found these and we thought we'd give it a go. Would love to hear some feedback.

This is their site: http://www.compostingwarehouse.com/index.php

Comments (10)

• sunnybunny
    14 years ago

It lookes very similar to the dual tumbler Mantis composter I have. The joy of the mantis is that you can tumble it easily and mix the materials. I think the rate you can make compost is overstated in terms of how quickly it works. Also, I still do not throw weed seed in it or perennial weeds as I do not think it is a large enough area to get hot enough to kill them. I have not tested this with a gauge, this is just an observation. Other than these concerns I love using the tumbler system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joraform Composters Link

• wiringman
    14 years ago

the tumbling composter i have has a hand crank and it is easy to operate. it is on a frame that is high enough to put a wheelbarrow under it to catch the tea.

it is called the "Compost tumbler". goggle compost tumbler.

WM

• jenallmann_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We just ordered the Joraform 125 today. We liked the idea of it because you can compost everything (including meat). It seems like a great solution. We're hoping for good results. We'll try to post once it arrives and we use it.

We currently have a standard compost bin, but it doesn't generate the heat needed to really compost well, and the size of it doesn't allow for easy turning. Every spring we end up dumping and sifting it and re-packing it. Needless to say, the Joraform will be a real improvement.

• jenallmann_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We just ordered the Joraform 125 today. We liked the idea of it because you can compost everything (including meat). It seems like a great solution. We're hoping for good results. We'll try to post once it arrives and we use it.

We currently have a standard compost bin, but it doesn't generate the heat needed to really compost well, and the size of it doesn't allow for easy turning. Every spring we end up dumping and sifting it and re-packing it. Needless to say, the Joraform will be a real improvement.

• compostingmatter
    12 years ago

I have the Joraform JK270 in my backyard and it's a very good unit. It makes great compost quickly. Not that I am in a hurry but anyway...

Be careful with too much meat or you'll have all the neighborhood critters wanting to come over and sniff it :)

If anyone (who might be interested in this unit) want to see some pictures of the composter in my garden let me know.

Stefan

• Johan_pvsb_nl
    12 years ago

We have a JK 125, we are using it for all our organic kitchen waste, we fill one compartment in about 5 weeks during summer, in the meanwhile the other compartment is getting ready with finished compost. In winter time it took about 6 weeks to get ready. We turn it everyday (if we fill it). We use woodpallets (made of saw dust) to make it a little bit dryer.

Johan
    (Dutch compostmaster)

• dyl7777777_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi all

I was told by someone from the joraform company that coffee grounds could probably not be used as a carbon source instead of sawdust or wood pellets because it would not absorb enough moisture or provide enough carbon. They said they had not tested it which i found rather disappointing. Of course the grounds can be added and will compost very well so we do add a bit but not instead of sawdust which we luckily managed to source from a carpentry shop.

A new question i now have after using these rotating bins for a couple of weeks is whether there is anything we can do about the large number of maggots in the compost? The 50 degree plus heat is not killing them when we rotate the bins. Anyone know if there is a way to reduce them? it puts the students off wanting to put the food waste in them every few days..

Thanks
    D

• SoTX
    12 years ago

Sprinkle the top of the compost with diatomaceous earth to solve the maggot problem.

• David Shawver
    11 years ago

We just purchased a Joraform JK270 and were very pleased with the quality construction and dealer service. The composter arrived within a week but had 4 damaged panels. The vendor was quick to ship us the needed replacements and we completed the assembly without any issues. The first batch of compost is in the making.

• farmby
    10 years ago

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this or not. I hope so. We bought a Joraform 270 last month. We added equal amounts of leaves from the forest floor along with our fruit and veggie scraps. Within 3 days, our new composter was rockin' along at about 130 F. Then, in MAY, here in the Midwest, we had a freak snow storm and overnight, both sides of our composter died. The temp went down to the outside temp and no action since. We rotate it every day. Still nothing. Yesterday, I added some active compost from the huge pile we had delivered on our driveway last week. That raised the temp only slightly yesterday. When I checked it today, once again, it's pretty much dead. No action. No heat. Any ideas?