Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady bugs eating plant leaves?

Posted by jwalter007 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:20

I have heard that lady bugs are benifical to gardens. I have many in my garden, but they seem to be eating the leaves. I noticed that everywhere theres a ladybug there is also an eaten patch non the leaf.I figured there might be a bug that the ladybug was eating but I found none.
Could it be microscopic or could the lady bug be eating the leaf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady bugs eating plant leaves?

Is it possible to take pictures of the insect and allow us to see?

To answer your question, ladybugs don't eat leaves and there is nothing microscopic that can do that kind of damage.

Could you be misidentifying this insect? What plants are they on?

o

Most Lady Beetles, aka Lady Bugs, are beneficial but there are two that are not and can be quite destructive. The Mexican Bean Beetle and the Squash Lady Beetle look somewhat similar to the other members of this family and are sometimes mistaken for the beneficial ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad Lady Beetles

o

Great..I bet my guys are the lady bug imposter. Ill attach some pics. The worst part is my neighbor had them in her garden & was throwing away leaves & I took a bunch from her saying people actually buy lady bugs to spread into your garden....I have a lot to learn.
I have included a weird yellow bug that I found as well.

o

...here's the yellow bug

o

In searching google images for Mexican Bean Beetle and the Squash Lady Beetle, although they look just like lady beetles, I would assume I have the others. I guess Ill go squash them.

o

In searching google images for Mexican Bean Beetle and the Squash Lady Beetle, although they look just like lady beetles, I would assume I have the others. I guess Ill go squash them.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 12:30

Yes, those re the bad varieties. Squish or drop in some water. They are fairly easy to control by hand...I have been dealing with them for several weeks.

o

...so much to learn about organic gardening.
thanks

o

...so much to learn about organic gardening.
thanks

o

Easy way to tell the difference between a squash beetle and a lady bug is the head. The head of a lady bug is black, where as the squash beetles heads are the same as their backs, which is usually that rustish color. I did the same thing, in thinking I had a bunch of lady bugs one year, only to realize it was the darn squash beetle!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here