Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato blossoms are falling off.......

Posted by joeworm FL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 15:45

There are plenty of blossoms but they are all falling off. This is suppose to be an heirloom brandywine. Any ideas why?? Not getting pollinated??

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato blossoms are falling off.......

How hot has it been? Excessive heat will do that too.

tj

o

Low 90s. Plants get 6 hours of sun from 9:00 to 3:00. They look like they are getting enough of water.

o

When temperatures exceed the mid 80's tomatoes seem to have a problem with pollinating. Maybe, possibly providing a few hours of shade, which can lower the temperatures enough to imcrease the chance of pollination.

o

Will this happen with all tomato plants or are there plants, different varieties, that can handle the heat better? Would prefer heirloom plants if possible.

o

That is common to all tomatoes.

o

"That is common to all tomatoes."

This is not true! There are varieties that have been breed to produce during high heat...one of them is rutgers another is homestead! How do you think Fl. farm fields can produce tomatoes during the summers???
These are not heirloom but are nice tomatoes. I get some all summer long...medium to small but still fresh tomatoes. I plant rutgers.

o

I have one brandywine and three celebrity plants. The brandywine is the only one dropping blossoms. The celebrities are setting fruit and I haven't found any blossoms that have dropped on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here