Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alleyoops_2009

Re: Too much rain + pests + organicide

alleyoops_2009
14 years ago

I too used organicide for the first and last time this year. I pulled the plants because I know squash does not form new growth. I lost most of my peppers, green beans, squash and all of the eggplant. I take responsibility for the loss of the beets and cabbage for not reading the label close enough. I will, however, go to the manager of the two Lowe's in our town and recommend they discontinue the product from their line of pesticides.

Comments (15)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

What is organicide? Seems like an oxymoron to me.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Organicide is a commercial product that contains a mixture of two, pyrethrins and rotenone, of the most toxic organic poisons available, plus some unknown "inert" ingrediants. One would probably get better results with less environmental damage and lower cost by using Neem products.

• gargwarb
    14 years ago

" I take responsibility for the loss of the beets and cabbage for not reading the label close enough. I will, however, go to the manager of the two Lowe's in our town and recommend they discontinue the product from their line of pesticides."

That reminds me of a story. I decided to eat an apple one day but misunderstood what I was supposed to do. I neglected to chew and instead rammed it as deeply down my throat as I could with the an axe handle. It turns out that although my neck may appear to be rather large in diameter when looking at it from the outside, the inner diameter is in fact significantly less than that of your average sized Granny Smith. The apple become lodged in my windpipe and I nearly died. I've since gone back to the grocery store and asked the manager to stop selling apples.

• Michael
    14 years ago

I can't find a label to read so I must ask, what would be the basis for your recommendation?

The search I did showed Organicide, made by Organic Laboratories, as containing fish oil and emulsifiers with sesame oil as the AI. Is that what you used alleyoops?

Kimmsr: Are we refering to the same stuff?

Michael

• gargwarb
    14 years ago

Here's a label.

• organicguy
    14 years ago

There is NOTHING wrong with pyrethrins or rotenone, if used according to recommedations. Commercial organic farmers rely on them to grow a crop worth harvesting. I have never seen either damage plants!

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Both the pyrethrins and Rotenone are very broad spectrum poisons that should be used only as a last resort. As with many of the synthetic poisons overuse of any poison, even an organic one, can cause the target insects to develop immunities to them that will render the poison ineffective. If an organic gardener/farmer continually has a problem with insect pests or plant diseases that gardener/farmer really needs to take a closer look at their soil instead of relying on potent poisons to grwo plants that are pest or disease free.
    Apparently there is more than one product out there called "Organicide" since I found at least 3 different products one a garden insecticide, one a flea dip for pets, and one to aid in cleaning your soil of certain problems and there is also a product called "Organocide".

• Michael
    14 years ago

Gargwarb: went to the link below inside the link you gave but Acrobat reader couldn't pull it up, something about a plugin window handler, oh well. I noticed their product is called Organocide while the OPs was Organicide. Hard to say much when one doesn't know what was used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organocide label

• mindfullyaware
    13 years ago

class-action-suit are words that come to mind following my experience with "Organocide," by Organic Laboratories, Inc.

When I called them to tell them of losing my garden to Organocide- which I mixed/applied by the instructions to the letter, they actually told me that my experience was not new to them! Their only interest in replying to me, seemed to be to find out what I had used with Organocide that might have combined with it to produce such ill affects. I had fertilized, and applied supplemental calcium the week prior (to applying Organocide). The out-shot of my communication with Organic Lab's. was that even in combination with very routinely applied things, such as the fertilizer that I had used- and then the week prior- Organocide can be very harmful...I've lost almost everything that it touched, with the exception of very young tomatoes...squash, bush beans and bell peppers withered in the space of 3 hours time after application of Organocide. Its ingredients seem harmless, edible fish oil, sesame seed oil and Lecithin...hardly the case! If enough poeple have had this experience, I think we should approach a lawyer...I'm no law-suit happy person, but this experience- and the response I got from Organic Labs gives me a flavor for choosing that response...keep in mind their response, which was that my story was hardly new to them!

• feixata_charter_net
    12 years ago

I have used Organocide for the last three years without any problems. I use the product primarily on roses and that has greatly eliminated the bug issues as well as some fungal issues. This has proved to be one of the few sprays that has not harmed beneficial pollinators as well as any of the multitude of animals that roam in the area. As for the "too much rain" well that is an entirely different issue that cannot be blamed on Organocide but is really out of anyone's control. As for your "pests" what "pests" where you exactly trying to eliminate? Knowing what pests and or fungal diseases that your plants face/have is the most important knowledge to have when trying to control infestations..blaming a product when other factors such as rain and perhaps poor soil compostion might be the primary factors in destroying any garden. Educate yourself on the needs of your plants...research what is needed to control the factors that you can to insure a plants sucess and then learn as most gardeners do that you cannot control Mother Nature and a plant that regardless of ideal conditions may still fail to thrive and die.

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

I second the last two posters. Results of Organocide are still waited but I sprayed first time on roses, aphids were gone. I did not do the 2nd application within a week and they reappeared. Yesterday I did one application and plan on doing it every week for three weeks on Roses. I also sprayed on tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant last evening when sun was about to set and it was nice and cool. This morning my plants were healthy and smiling.

If you water the plants in hot sun, you could kill the plant. Did the original posted applied on a hot sunny day in the afternoon?

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

People here today are talking about different products then were found in 2009. I found "Organocide" with no problem but a search for "Organicide" kept wanting to find "Organocide". The "Organicide" I did find says it is also Sesame Oil and Fish Oil. I do not find the product for flea control today.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

I have used ORGANOCIDE, the fish oil one. It works well but I do know not to mix it with copper and triazicide. Of all the trees and plants I have used it on it seems my young plum tree is the only one that is sensitive to the product but then again I sprayed before the hot sun came out and I think it might of scorched the leaves. Either way, ORGANOCIDE is not a bad product and ANY oil should not be used in conjunction with most other products.

• Will Delito
    5 years ago

I have bee's, fruit trees, large garden and never had any issues, works great. Combated my Gypsy moth Caterpillar' s.