Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea plants yellowing from ground up

Posted by veganic66 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 15, 06 at 16:48

Hi,

Anyone know of a potential cause for my snow pea plants starting to yellow and shrivel up from the ground up??

http://www.geocities.com/veganic66/PeaPlants.jpg

I've fertilized using a liquid feed and don't think I'm overweatering.

This happened 2 years ago to my cantaloupe plant.. grew real nice, yellow flowers, then started to "rot" from the root outwards :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea plants yellowing from ground up

Well, about now most pea-plants in the middle latitudes of this continent are doing that. They are ending their productive cycle and drying up to cure seed.

o

Not sure if peas need fertilizing. I thought they got their nitrogen from the air?

Lee

o

Peas are a cool weather crop, its now too hot for them. You could try planting more for them to mature in the cooler weather of fall.
Alberta

o

pnbrown and albertar:
Thanks for the info, I guess I planted at the wrong time, each of the three plants does have one pod on it though, lol
I shall start more and see what happens in the fall.

lee53011:
Gee, I don't know, I thought everything could use a little fertilzer. I'm in the process of building my compost pile, but until it's ready my only other choice is liquid feed, which I'm brewing by soaking buckets of weed leaves for a couple weeks. Boy that stuff sure stinks like a barnyard, hehe

o

If you have a good amount of OM/compost in the soil, or grow lots of legumes, then the peas will have the right fungi attached to the roots to fix nitrogen directly from the air.

Clovers, peas, beans, alfalfa, and other legumes will do this. I pulled some red clover the other day that were sneaking up on my garden beds, and the roots had the nodules from the fungi all over the roots. Very cool.

o

Fungi on the roots? wow, very cool, yeah I did not know this :-)

o

It's called mycorrhizal fungi. You can buy innoculants for seeds, but if you're organic and have a good amount of OM- then you're probably in good shape anyway.

This is the reason that growing clover actually puts N into your soil, rather than using it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here