Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tunnel spider-my garden friend

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 18:39

This morning I was double digging a corner of my garden, getting ready for some fall root crops and lettuce. Getting rid of rocks, amending clay soil with humus, sand, vermicilite. I found a hole, at first I thought it was a snake hole, but at the bottom I found a HUGE spider, one I've never seen before. I covered him back up with dirt, hoping he'd stick around. I talked to my husbands's friend Larry, who owns a large farm not too far away, who told me what kind it was. He said it was a tunnel spider- and that they eat grasshoppers, crickets, etc. Well, I'm glad to have him around!! Anyone ever encounter one of these in the garden? Know anymore about them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tunnel spider-my garden friend

Possibly what you have is one of the "wolf spiders". People often simply make up names for many critters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf spiders

o

Wolf spiders and lady bugs are probably the most abundant and effective beneficials in my garden.

This spring I found a wolf spider protecting an egg sac about every 3-5 sqft in my mulched areas. I was surprised at the density.

o

novice, what did your spider look like (other than the size)? The reason I ask is that you mentioned finding this spider in a hole. Trap-door spiders (sometimes called funnel web spiders) can be found in your neck of the woods.

o

Was it this guy?

We have these, but we only see them once or twice a year when the male comes out of the ground and goes looking for a mate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purseweb Spider

o

I think it's also called a funnel web spider, i've seen a lot of wolf spiders, and this was NOT one of those. It was large, black and shiny, with very large, pale pink abdomen- best description i can give considering i covered him up quickly with dirt!

o

Your description is great, novice.

I'm a semi-reformed arachniphobe...this is one of the spiders that still gives me the absolute creeps. :-) Thanks for the shivers!

o

Lol, rhizo. Usually spiders don't bother me, when I was 18 I had a tarantula for a pet!!! I see spiders all over the place, and welcome them for their usefullness.
However, this spider was FREAKY and I myself got a few shivers after thinking what the ... is that?
Anyone else have these particular spiders around?

o

Paulaw: thanks for excellent website link. DANG. Didn't know there were THAT many types of insects lurking in my garden. Gives me shivers! Sudzy

o

Paulaw, he looked a lot like that, except abdomen was very large- maybe he was full from all the bugs!!! Yes, I believe that was it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here