Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
female pumpkin flowers

Posted by coryory canada (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 18:41

I am wondering how long flowers will keep growing on a pumpkin plant, It is july 12th and I still haven't had a chance to pollinate a female flower. the plant is inside and has only had maybe 2 female flowers and i missed pollinating them. Do the plants keep producing flowers all year or season or do they stop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: female pumpkin flowers

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 21:43

Mine got to first frost in Zone 4

o

Hey there,

If by inside, you mean grown in a container, then this may be your problem. Pumpkins need room, foliage and roots. If by inside, you mean in the ground in a greenhouse, then could you tell me how many plants you have? Like most plants like this one (squashes, cucerbits, and whatnot), they do better if you can cross pollinate with another. Also, if you have multiple plants they will mature at different times, and they will be able to pollinate eachother better because flowers will mature at different times on the plants.

As for the longevity of the flowers, my experience has been the male flowers show up in the center, then the female flowers show up as the vines grow. So, during a small window, the males show up, last a while, then shrivel and die. The females grow pretty much through the summer, then the production dies off toward the end of summer.

Good luck,
Ken

o

male flowers happen around the base of any vine [the crown of the plant or where the side vines come out] - males can last for a week or more and be viable, females usually only last a day or 2 and are most fertile the morning of the first day they are fully open - unless you have the plant in a tightly closed area there will be bees or ants or whatever that will pollinate, and hand pollination shouldn't really be necessary except under unusual circumstances, tho as said it's a good idea to have more than 1 plant [any squash family variety] - the plant will keep producing blooms [male and female] until it's killed by cold

Bill

o

• Posted by vstech z7 Charlotte (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 13:18

I hope you have a variety of pumpkin that doesn't grow as much. I can't imagine a greenhouse big enough to contain the moster vines my pumpkins produce. at least inside, the SVB moth shouldn't cause any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here