Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Bugs in my Corn

Posted by vtfolkgirl Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 19:24

My corn is growing really well and it's about 5 feet tall. I just noticed it starting to grow the actual corn, I think. I'm new to this! They look like wheat stalks inside the leaves of the corn. But to my suprise, I saw a whole colony of little black bugs. There might be little white things too, but they didn't quite look like bugs or that they moved at all. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. Because I have no clue what to do or how bad they are.

I also have had some japanese beetles that I keep drowning! Any helpful hints? I want to keep it all organic!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Bugs in my Corn

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 12:12

The things that "look like wheat stalks inside the leaves" are probably the tassel (male).

The little black bugs are most likely aphids while the white things are their cast skins.

o
RE: Little Bugs in my Corn

The tassels are not the actual corn, they're where the pollen comes from. The corn will grow out from the side of the cornstalk, like from where one of the leaves meets the stem. This should happen pretty soon.

If you start to see damage from the aphids, you can wash them off with the hose or hit them with a little insecticidal soap (NOT dish soap).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here