Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you dispose of garden chemicals?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 20:38

I am cleaning out the storage building that was on the property when we bought it 13 years ago and have come across a box of pesticides and fertilizers.

I don't know how toxic they still are after being in a hot shed for 13+ summers, but a lot of bottles slosh when I shake them, so something is still in there.

I looked online for my county & state & can't find anything regarding safe disposal. What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you dispose of garden chemicals?

can you still read the labels on the bottles? I would start there and see what you can find out.

How big are the bottles? With small bottles or ones that don't seem to have much in them, I would probably simply place in the trash. With larger containers or stuff that seems to be really "toxic" I might phone the county or whoever takes care of the waste disposal in your area and find out when/where you can take stuff for disposal.

Here is a link that might be useful: TCLynx

o

The municipality who collects your garbage (unless you have a private garbage collector) probably has a household hazardous waste collection day. My advice is to call them up and find out when and where. I wouldn't put any of that stuff in the garbage.

o

Most all of those things are hazardous materials that need to be properly disposed of. Our county has two hazardous materials disposal drive each year where anyone can bring any of the hazardous materials they have in for disposal. Items listed are pesticides, fertilizers, motor oils, paints, etc. Some places have more regular pickups, but this stuff will not be handled by your regular trash pickup people, if they know it is there.

o

I looked online for my county & state & can't find anything regarding safe disposal. What would you do?

I would use the telephone, not all information is available on line.

o

If you can't find anything about a hazardous waste roundup on line or in the phone book, try contacting your county ag extension office. They might have a recommendation of how to properly dispose of it, or might have information about the hazardous waste roundup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here