Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic wire worms and or onion maggots?

Posted by tn_jed 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 20:51

hi everyone i just went out to collect my garlic that has been curing fer 3 weeks i open a couple and they are full of 1\4" long off white maggots and i did see a little brownish red segmented bug or 2 as well, my question is, I am going to plant a large stand of garlic in the fall and wanted to try parasitic nematodes but should i apply them in fall or spring when bulbs are forming, and do you think this will be an effective control.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic wire worms and or onion maggots?

In conversations I have with people all over the world, that practice organic gardening, I hear that the single best defense against all soil dwelling insect pests, and soil borne diseases, is getting sufficient levels of compost, and other organic matter in to the soil.

o

ive been doing some reading and it seems maggots love organic matter my question is has anyone had any luck with predatory nematodes and should they be applied in fall to overwinter with garlic crop or applied in spring when bulb formation begins. I live in north west Tn. we have mild winters and may only get an inch of snow all season. I have not planted this plot before ive grown 3 stands of buckwheat, winter rye and a mix of field peas oats and vetch all turned into the soil over the past 2 years in preperation hoping to increase organic mater, was that a good idea??? be easy on me im new to the gardening world,

o

I just googled your question and found the following from a scientific source:
Good sanitation is extremely important in controlling the onion maggot. In order for third generation maggots to survive and overwinter in the field, they must have a supply of cull or missed onions on which to feed. If all onions are removed from the field, the maggots will have nothing on which to feed and thus cannot survive. Growers should, therefore, do their best to ensure complete harvesting and to leave no culls in the field. Removal of cull piles is also strongly encouraged. Limited natural control of the onion maggot is provided by a complex of predators and parasitoids which include the predatory flies Coenosia tigrina and Scatophaga stercoraria, the wasp, Aphaerata pallipes, the beetle Aleochara bilineata and a fungus Entomopthora muscae.

I gather from the above that parasitic nematodes are not the control you require. To be successful, they also require moist soil and the correct temperature. Maybe you should plant in a different spot and do some research on when the above pretators should be applied. Also, wouldn't your ag extension office be able to guide you in the right direction?

o

Ive figured it out thank you. Your research confirms what i believe happened. Last year i had a small 3'x5' potato bed squeezed onto the end of a row, I must have missed a potato or 2 during last harvest so in the spring when everything thawed out the garlic bulbs started forming and the potatoes started rotting. that would be what attracted them and the fresh purple glazer garlic bulbs is what kept em there. Thank you for your replies and happy gardening to you all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here