Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black spots on watermelon leaves

Posted by ickysgirl70 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 20:52

I've never done this before, but I'm trying to grow a moon and stars watermelon in a container on my deck. It's been doing really well, with guite a few blossoms and one baseball size watermelon fruit so far. Yesterday it looked fine. Today there are small black spots all over every single leaf. What happened and how do I save this plant?!!! It's set in full sun, and is getting plenty of water with the soil being allowed to dry out slightly, but not completely, before watering again. The basil next to it is fine, but the mint on the other side of the watermelon also has the black spots.
Help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black spots on watermelon leaves

• Posted by vstech z7 Charlotte (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 8:52

can you post a picture of the spots? it could be mildew, or some other fungus. is it fuzzy?

o

Probably a whole lot more about watermelons than you wanted but this is what Texas A & M has to say about probelsm with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watermelons

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. Couldn't find the information I was looking for to cure this organicly, so I did finally get a fungicide / insecticide combination spray. It wasn't organic, although the label states that it's safe to use on fruit and vegetable plants. (I'll have to wash the fruit really well before cutting into it.) The stuff smells horrible, but I think it may have done the trick. There is still leaf damage, but I have a new shoot starting from the main vine and the watermelon fruit doesn't seem to be as soft anymore. Here's for hoping. Next year I'm going to use a fungicide before the plant starts to flower and hopefully that'll prevent this from happening again. Thanks everyone for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here