Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocdgal11

Is my garden still considered organic?

ocdgal11
9 years ago

My husband sprayed weed/grass killer around the perimeter of our property along the fence line about two months ago. One side of our garden runs the fence and is about a foot and a half away from where he sprayed. None of the grass near the garden died or anything, just the fence line. I don't know f it could have been absorbed into the plant roots or not. The are all doing well so I presume not. First time gardener here!

Comments (8)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

What was the poison?

• ocdgal11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know. It was some type of weed killer from lowes, I think spectracide. It's not organic though. But it doesn't seem to have affected the garden I'm any way not the foot and a half section of grass in between. I sure hope it's safe because I've been eating veggies out of it and nursing my 8 month old.

• ocdgal11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After a quick google I'm slightly paranoid to eat from the garden. What a waste! My husband will think I'm crazy and what am I supposed to do with all the produce? Chuck it?

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Considering the herbicide your husband sprayed killed grass, if any of it got on your plants, it would have killed them too.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

I agree with loribee.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Agree with loribee and wayne. If your plants aren't showing damage then you should be fine. Just wash them well before eating (but you should be doing this anyway).

Rodney

• ocdgal11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's honestly more like two feet away from the garden (see pic). He sprayed when we first planted so I feel confident if it reached them they would not have survived. I was just concerned because it says on the bottle not to spray near edibles; however, I don't think any of the veggies had produced yet so it was more me worrying it leached into the roots.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

There is absolutely no problem here. It's a herbicide, not a systemic insecticide. There's a huge difference between the two. If the plants are fine, they are fine to eat.