Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you buy bulk blood meal, bone meal, etc.?

Posted by RyanC95 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 21:44

I've been buying my blood and bone meal and fish fertilizers from home depot and I'm pretty sure that it is all overpriced. I plan on amending the soil in the 3 4'x16' raised beds I have with organic slow release fertilizer and compost rather than putting it only in the planting hole, but with all most 200 sq ft to cover I need to buy the blood meal and bone meal in bulk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you buy bulk blood meal, bone meal, etc.?

Any farm supply store, feed mill, and some garden shops. You just need to look beyond the big box stores to locally owned places.

o

I also recommend checking local farm supply stores. The link below shows that it is available in bulk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Minerals

o

When I was reading about prions (cause of mad cow, etc) some time ago it was intimated that the sources of blood and bone meal could be of concern.

Does anyone know for sure?

o

According to the people that should know about these things say no.
Putting blood and/or bone meal on your garden will not result in the foods grown in that soil up taking these potential brain destroyers unless you eat the soil they were grown in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prions in blood and bone meal

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:40

but farm supply stores typically do not have bone meal. they have urea.

o

Main tip I get from article is wear a mask.

Thank you for the article; interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here