Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beginner question: fertilizer

Posted by flowerbed 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 21:48

what's the best all-around organic fertilizer if you're growing vegetables and tomatoes? i don't know what the soil is deficient in yet, as this is my first garden. it's sort of trial and error at this point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beginner question: fertilizer

Aside from compost and other forms of organic matter the only way to know what kind of "fertilizer" any soil might need is with a good, reliable soil test. You should also know the answers to these questions.
How much humus is in the soil?
How well does the soil drain?
How well does the soil retain moisture?
What is the tilth?
What does that soil smell like?
What kind of life is in that soil?

o

Your local agricultural extention office should have information about where you can get a soil test. They are not expensive. They should also have a gardening calendar which lets you know the best times of the year to plant various veggies in your region.

o

I suggest doing a search for "Steve Soloman" or "COF" either here or the web.

o

thanks, everyone, for the help!!

o

Compost.....lots of it. It's the best all around safe additive that really kicks your garden into high gear. No such thing as too much compost! :)

plus tomatoes thrive in it. :)

o

Hi Flowerbed: What a cute name! I am a passionate organic grower, and we use primarily compost and worm castings, which I highly recommend. Do a google search on vermiculture if you are interested in the details. See if you can by worm castings locally--I buy mine from a local organic vineyard that fertilizes exclusively with worm castings produced and harvested on-site. I have had excellent results with them. Sounds gross, but it's not at all. I also use Fox Farms products, which are totally organic, to get things off to a good start or to give my garden a boost when it seems a little slow. Best of luck with your garden, and you're welcome to come visit mine--the link is noted below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

o

Tomatoes need a good source of magnesium. Epsom salt is a good source if your soil is deficient in that. Calcium is also important too.

Of course all vegetables (like flowers) need a good source of phosphorous. I use a good organic fertilizer (high in phosphorous) and supplement epsom salt with it and get pretty good results.

o

Different vegetables have different needs. I have three types of fert to assist in meeting those needs. But I agree that the default is compost and that you don't know what to apply until you know what you do and do not have.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here