Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your opinion on Pyola?

Posted by sniffmeister So Cal (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 0:42

My cucumber plant is covered with a yellow and brown disease that is eating holes in the leaves (the fruit is still producing).

I talked to an organic farmer at a farmer's market this morning and he told me to use Pyola on the leaves.

What are your thoughts on this, and can I still eat the fruit since it was sprayed with the Pyola?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your opinion on Pyola?

Pyola is a pyrethron based broad spectrum pesticide that will not help if what you have is a fungal disease. However, since what you have is eating holes in the leaves it may well be an insect, but never start any control program with the most toxic substance available.
Look over the plant to see if you can see what is eating holes in the leaves and causing the leaves to turn yellow and brown, and then find the least toxic means of control for that and use that method. It might be as simple as a sharp water spray or hand squishing the culprit(s).

o
RE: What is your opinion on Pyola?

I tried Neem oil, diatomaceous earth, and hot pepper wax to no avail to fight my bug invasions. Spraying with either Spinosad or Pyola regularly (about once a week) is helping to keep the bugs at bay.

The instructions say that you can use Pyola up to the day before harvest. It breaks down fairly quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here