Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My most successful 'black spot' treatment

Posted by anitra 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 1:12

When I found black-spot spreading across my bell pepper plants -- including a big black patch on the one pepper growing -- I tried every organic method I read about: spraying with baking soda, with milk, with cornmeal juice, with compost tea, dusting it with cornmeal. Milk helped a bit, cornmeal helped a bit, but the most effective method was completely heretical. I took some of the wormcastings from my worm bin, added a bit of water to make a paste, and just slathered it on the affected spots. After three such treatments, the black that covered about 1/3 of the fruit's surface is almost completely faded away.

I call this "heretical" because everything I've read about foliar use of wormcastings says to steep them in water for at least 24 hours and then just use the water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My most successful 'black spot' treatment

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 16:00

Are you referring to hot peppers?
If so, is the black on part of the pepper but not sunken or mushy?
If so, this is a normal reaction. Sometimes things happen.

o
RE: My most successful 'black spot' treatment - more

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 16:02

Oops. Just realized you said bell peppers.

Even so, it's likely normal. Difficult to tell without a description more precise than "spreading across my ... pepper plants."

o
RE: My most successful 'black spot' treatment

Oh, dear, I may have unecessarily sacrificed on of the pepper plants.

We had three pepper plants in the garden, all sweet bells: one green, one yellow, and one red. They were very slow-growing, and I wasn't paying close attention to them. They started blooming the end of June, which drew my attention; then I noticed that there were black patches on some of the leaves, and even some of the flowers. I searched on "black spots" and came up with "black spot fungus," which looked like what I had.

The smallest and straggliest of the plants had black patches over so much of it that I just pulled it up and tossed it. I thought I could save the other two plants. I did get the fungus on the retreat, but then I got sick myself for a few days, and the next time I checked, the one developing green pepper seemed to have the same black stain growing across it.

There isn't any necrosis. Leaves that had the black spots on them, and weren't treated, would eventually wither and die. Blossoms that weren't treated would shrivel; the fruit bud, instead of developing, would dry up and fall off. The green pepper that had begun developing before it got infected has not died, nor has any part of it rotted -- though it doesn't seem to be getting bigger very fast, either.

For whatever reason, applying a paste of wormcastings and water has made the black patches on stems and on the fruit fade away. New growth is coming in that has no black on it.

My reasoning was that if this was "black spot fungus" the beneficial microorganisms in wormcastings would compete with it and drive it off. Maybe it isn't fungus, and the wormcastings have worked on it in some other way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here