Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can potatoes be planted in August in Zone 5?

Posted by terry-upstate-ny 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 1:24

I just dug up about 5 lbs of potatoes that were volunteers from a few potatoes left in the ground from last year, when I planted a small potato patch. My DH roasted some of them on the BBQ with some oil brushed on them and they were great! Now I'd like to plant some of the smaller ones. I read a couple of articles that said you can plant potatoes in August and get Christmas potatoes, but I'm not sure what zone the authors of those articles were in. Here we usually have alot of snow by Chrismas. Does anyone know the best way to try this?
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can potatoes be planted in August in Zone 5?

Potatoes generally require about 100 plus days to produce the crop so there is a possibility. People for years have heavily mulched root crops to protect them from freezing and left them where they grew until time to use.

o

It is not possible on several counts. Not enough time to frost is one. Declining sun right when the plant needs most sun is another. You might get a few tubers the size of blueberries.

o

I read a couple of articles that said you can plant potatoes in August and get Christmas potatoes,

When you reread the articles, note the subtropical zones or greennhouses where this was done.

Dan

o

Yes, in north florida one can grow fall new potatoes, though jan/feb planted are more productive.

o

I guess that I will mulch them heavily, I plan to cover the entire small garden with leaves in the fall.
I did put some cut up potatoes in a tub yesterday with four inches of compost over them. I wonder if I could bring the tub in the house when it gets cold and let them grow indoors?
Thank you for your responses.
Terry

o

Hi Terry,

I live in northern Jefferson County, NY and I planted one pound each of Yukon Gold and Pontiac potatoes last year at the beginning of August. I harvested them around Halloween and estimate production to be about one to two pounds per plant for a total of about fifty pounds.

The seed was planted about four inches down, then I mulched heavily with straw once the tops were about six inches tall. I covered the bed with plastic sheeting to keep growth going as late as possible. Potato sizes ranged from a half inch to four inches across, with the all but about three pounds in the two to three inch range. I was quite satisfied with the results, given the late date and the drought.

Jim

o

50 lbs from 2 lbs of seed? That is 2.5 times what professionals generally consider a good yield, and that when the plant is growing at the optimum time of year. Either you have discovered a miracle or your numbers are not remotely close to reality.

o

I would have to use shreaded leaves and pine needles to mulch with, the only straw I can get locally has too many seeds.
I am still growing a few potato plants, mostly from volunteer plants that pop up.
Terry

o

To replant newly harvested potatoes, they might have to go through a dormant period first...adding to the unlikelyhood of a successful plantout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here