Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little green larvae to compost?

Posted by hippylove4u FL (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 9:06

I am discovering little green caterpillar like larvae on the underside of my cucumber and cantaloupe leaves. Assuming the cucumber beetle but haven't seen the actual insect just lots of eaten leaves. I'm pruning eaten leaves- Can I put these leaves into my compost tumbler? Upon taking these pics found hundreds of eggs :-( help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little green larvae to compost?

And here's the pic of eggs

o

Those aren't eggs. They are aphids. Wash them off.

o

Thanks jean001a-- any thoughts about the little green larvae in the first pic?
Will a hose with pressure work for 'washing them off' live leaves?

o

Don't see enough detail to know for certain. Well, except for one thing -- it's eating the leaf surface.

o

These images might be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Beetle larva

o

In the link Kimmsr provided it shows several images of ladybug larvae as "cucumber beetle larvae". Not good for ladybugs!

o

I'm not sure why kimmsr attached that link, because your little green larva is a caterpillar of one kind or another. Can't tell you which one, there are many, many caterpillars that are translucent green when young.

Regarding the hose....I use my thumb at the end of the hose to create a fan spray with some pressure. You don't much pressure; the aphids aren't that difficult to knock off and you don't want to harm the leaves.

o

The link was attached for informational purposes.
There is no good reason top prune leaves that have been eaten, some, by any larva if the larva are removed. Knocking Aphids off plant leaves with a strong water spray is one really good method of control of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here