Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass growing through cracked concrete walkway

Posted by weddingdance z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 10:33

What's an organic way to remove grass and weeds from between cracks in my concrete walkway? I tried pulling them, but they just break off at the stems.

Thanks,

Lee Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass growing through cracked concrete walkway

• Posted by Gwyn 6A, Mississauga (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 11:09

I you can pour boiling water in the gaps.
Also table salt kills off the grass.
However here is what my Dad did (hard work) he picked up the concrete slabs and put plastic sheets under - problem solved.
I just keep pulling at mine. I have an old screw driver (in the yard) that helps push them up as well.

o

Electric Weed Wacker

I've used 30% vinegar, 5% vinegar, boiling water ... all work for a while, but always comes back; and I alway go back to usin' the weed wacker.

Peace,
- Sequoia

o

problem w/ vinegar and concrete: it eats the lime in the concrete so you'll end up w/ an etched surface, and eventually crumbling concrete w/ repeated use of it

Bill - who knows thru experience gained being a vinegar maker!

o

What about using a propane torch and burning the weeds? Just a thought.

Vicky~

o

You can try vinegar as a natural herbicide. Garden stores, nurseries and feed stores sell "Horticultural Vinegar" which is 20% acetic acid whereas the regular stuff you get at the grocery store is only 5%. I understand you can also purchase 9% stuff at grocery stores that is sold as "pickling" vinegar. On the other hand, I've used the cheap 5% stuff with good results. And the 5% stuff will be easier on your concrete with repeated use.

The vinegar/acid burns the top foliage and eventually chokes off the weed. Some established weeds may continue to come back however.
I had a previous thread here where I used the regular 5% vinegar on several different types of weeds. That link is located below:

Regular Vinegar as Weed Killer (With Pics) Link

You also might want to check these articles below out regarding vinegar as a herbicide:

Organic Weed Controls ~ Vinegar as an Herbicide
Natural Alternative to Round-Up?

I hope this gives you some other ideas.
-Todd

o

The simplest method is to pour hot, does not need to be boiling, water, but that will need to be done several times over the summer.

o

Hi,

I was wondering...if you just kill the weed in the cracks with hot water, you still have dead weeds in the cracks right?

Is there a way to fill the cracks..caulk or something? I have the same problem. Doesn't everyone..lol.

Adam

o

Adam, after killing the weeds then you need to remove the dead weeds and roots, the hot water should have also killed them, and then you can fill the crack. If its an expansion crack use a flexible caulk but if its a stress crack get a latex concrete patch product to use.

o

I guess I am missing something, because if you have to remove the weed anyway, why not just remove the weeds and skip the hot water step?

The crack I am thinking about is between an asphalt driveway and a concrete poured walkway. Weeds are always coming up there and it is so narrow it is hard to weed. I have another crack in the asphalt surface that gets weeds too. I imagine I need to repair the asphalt for the one in the driveway, but the one between the walk and driveway..which caulk should I use? Do they come in gray that might make them less noticeable?

Thanks,
Adam

o

Most often in those types of spaces you cannot get down to get all of the root and the hot water aids in killing the root so thre is a longer period of time before the plant will grow back. You could simply pull the weed, or at least as much as possible out, and it will grow back in about a week. If you pour hot water on it that will kill enough that it will be several weeks before it grows back.

o

All methods of grass removal are temporary unless the cracks are filled in. Caulk, pea gravel, asphalt, tar, all can do the job, but the bottom line is kill/pull the grass and it comes right back until the crack is sealed.

o

That makes sense Kimmsr..I think you are right.

You are right too username..lol. It isn't always possible to fill the cracks though. I have some pretty small cracks between bricks that would look awful caulked...lol.

I am going to have to look around and see what I can caulk now.

Thanks,
Adam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here