Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something chewing green bean stems

Posted by lzygrdner 7 sndy sprngs (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 10:48

Hi all, I need your help, something is eating away at my small (6 inch) green bean seedling's stems. The leaves look fine, but the stem looks "scraped away" close the the ground. I have time to replant, but what should I do to prevent this?

Also, I planted them where tomatoes did very poorly this spring (some kind of blight). Is this a mistake too? what should I do to help this soil. My garden is just 4 raised beds.

thanks so much for any help! Harriet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something chewing green bean stems

Cutworms.

Scratch around the plant stem in a circle usually no more than an inch or so deep and maybe 4 to 6 inches away from the stem and you should find an ugly gray worm an inch or more long.

The usual method for me is to put a cardboard "collar" around the stems of transplants such as broccoli, eggplant, etc. I use toilet paper rolls cut in half to form two collars. I push the end of the tube into the soil no more than an inch and it always works.

I don't bother protecting the beans since I plant them pretty densely and if I lose a few, I would hardly notice the loss.

When the stem starts to get tough, the cutworms move on.

Wayne

o
RE: something chewing green bean stems

Yes, we've had cutworms get young beans, too. If the beans are very young and the stem is not cut completely through, we've had success taping the stem back together again. (This didn't work when I tried it on larger beans broken by wind, however.) One year we ended up putting collars around all the beans, as we normally do peppers and tomatoes, but the cutworm problem on beans is not generally severe. Be sure to look for the worms when you work the soil, and kill them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here