Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your non-chemical death suggestions, manual death

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 11:44

We are smarter than plants, but not always as tenacious.

Don't have anything in particular I need to kill, just wanted to make a good list to spark people's imaginations so they don't feel so reliant on products. Let's list methods of non-chemical death, besides pulling/digging/spraying anything, (whether the label says organic or not - not a discussion about ANY products or salt or vinegar or gramma's homemade recipes.)

smothering plants or whole areas with ____ (whatever)
pouring boiling water on
tying a plastic bag over
putting an upside-down pot over
removing foliage whenever you see it
step on every day
cover with a large rock or potted plant
allow to dessicate during drought (make sure you're not irrigating it)
cover with mulch/compost pile
yank it out with a chain tied to a truck (call "call before you dig" if you don't know what the roots might be wrapped around!)

Different methods for different enemies, climates, and proximity of other plants, of course, but there's usually a manual way.

Unfortunately, manual methods are usually micro-methods, often not applicable to larger areas, but hopefully useful to those able to micro-manage some or all problem plants.

What else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your non-chemical death suggestions, manual death

Related to "remove the foliage", and applying to woody stuff:

cut below ground level.

o

blow-torch for weeds in paths

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 20:00

All the above works on most weeds, but not all perennials will die so easy.

o

Goats or chickens

o

In a rural school where all the boys had to study agriculture I was taught that a combination of goats and sheep will graze almost anything right down to the soil if they are not allowed too much room to wander. Now and then we read of researchers who are testing goats to clear fire breaks it fire prone western areas.

On the farm where I grew up pigs in confinement would destroy all vegetation except Datura stramonium (Jimson weed).

o

For scatter cane in corn fields: Yank the plant or clump out of the ground and break the plant's neck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here