Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Soft Spots

Posted by theanalyst z6b PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 12:03

Hi! I'm having problems with my tomato garden. Most of the tomatoes (primarily big boy, big whopper, beefsteak), with the exception of the black prince, keep developing soft spots before they are ripe and ready to pick. I read the other post about blossom end rot, but I don't think this is what the tomatoes have. The soft spots are closer to the top near the stem. Could this be caused by the same reasons as blossom end rot? Is there something I could do now to correct this?

Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Soft Spots

Soft spots are often from bruising. Is it windy in your area and the toms growing close together where they could bump? Do you have dogs or young kids that could be the source of the problem?

o

No, neither. No major winds, breezy at times yes, but not super windy. No dogs or kids.

Sarah

o

This could be from a wide variety of reasons, ranging from a sudden growth spurt to an insect munching away inside. Is there any cracking of the fruit at the stem involved? Do you see a small hole in the side of the tomaot that might indicate the Tomato Fruitworm entered?

o

There is cracking on some of the tomatoes, but not all. I do not see any small holes. I have been spraying the plants with cayenne pepper spray I've made, to prevent insects from eating at the fruit. The soft spot problem has been occuring since before I began spraying though, so I don't think it is from the spray.

Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here