Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cats in your garden

Posted by borderbarb San Diego county (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 14:44

Share this article with anyone you know who feeds feral cats or allows their pet cats to roam free into other's yards. It is more than just annoying.

In addition to the known effects of toxoplasmosis to other animals [children,pets,fetuses] a possible cause/effect for schizophrenia is being seriously studied.

BTW .. I am not one who expects my yard/garden to be as safe/sterile as an operating room.[hand/vegetable washing] But having seen birth defects and schizophernia up close, don't think cat feces are anything to ignore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat feces

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cats in your garden

Our cat wanders through our gardens, she may even take a dump there once in awhile, I don't know. We have two acres and I can't possibly monitor her whereabouts at all times so what would you suggest? Frankly I'm personally not all that concerned about it in light of the big picture of this world and what's going on in it.

Greg
Nevada

o
RE: No Cats in MY garden

My standard procedure for anyone silly enough to let their cats wander into my yard is a live trap, a trip to the shelter, and a posting on the mailbox/neighborhood board where the owner can find their precious Boots or Mittens.

Fortunately, here there are too many predators for cats to last long, and folks learn quickly that Puss eventually won't come back. Pet cats are among the important reasons for wild bird population reductions, and here it is nice that they don't last long in nature.

Dan

o
RE: Cats in your garden

OK guys ... I promise to not keep harping on this subject. But found an article today that somewhat bears on the same subject. I would imagine that the disease organisms infecting our Sea Otters would come from ferel cats. Surely pet feces disposed in trash or even flushed wouldn't reach the ocean [?]
///
...snip....
One of those diseases is Toxoplasma gondii, which is spread to otters when the fecal matter of infected cats gets washed out to sea,
///
Re: unimportant compared to the big picture of what is going on in the world. I agree .. except that the big picture is made up of many small 'pixels' some of which are within the scope to be dealt with by mere mortals.
///
Actually, my main motive in posting this story was to aide those whose KIND HEARTED neighbors feed ferel cats. YIKES! Who treat the soft soil in your yard as catbox heaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Sea Otter pop. decline

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here