Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medcave

Health food junkies causing more eating disorders cases

medcave
14 years ago

Or why too much of a good thing can be bad for you.

"The number of people suffering from the serious psychological condition, known as 'orthorexia nervosa', is growing, eating disorder charities say.

By Andrew Hough

Published: 7:00AM BST 17 Aug 2009

The condition, which affects equal numbers of men and women, is described as a 'fixation on righteous eating'.

Experts says sufferers with the obsession for healthy eating tend to be aged over 30, and were middle-class and well-educated.

'I am definitely seeing significantly more orthorexics than just a few years ago,' said Ursula Philpot, chair of the British Dietetic Association's mental health group.

Deanne Jade, founder of the National Centre for Eating Disorders, added: "There is a fine line between people who think they are taking care of themselves by manipulating their diet and those who have orthorexia."

Rest of the article below...

Article quoted above

Comments (11)

• dicot
    14 years ago

I can see the author's point, people that are utter control freaks over their foods definitely have issues. I mean you have to be able to go to a friend's house for dinner or travel and eat some weird foods and some unhealthy crap.

But unhealth food junkies are creating some eating disorders too - obesity and diabetes. I guess it's about moderation. And maybe understanding some of the basics of nutrition.

• bugtussellmom
    14 years ago

I think we have bigger issues to deal with, like getting kids to eat healthier. If they rely on the governments idea of what healthy is, then they will continue to be unhealthy and have unhealthy habits. Instead of spending money to teach kids how to grow healthy foods, they spend money on studies so they can discredit the obsessively healthy. Does that make any sense at all?

http://therealfoodchannel.com/page/7.html

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

A bit off-topic for this forum, innit?

Organic veggies are healthy, no debate about that......

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

That's illogical.

Al

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Organic veggies are healthy, no debate about that......

Actually there is ;)

Conventionally produced crops are regulated in terms of pesticide residues, organic crops are not. The organic grower can put rotenone all over their crop and send it right off to market and nobody looks at the pesticide residues on it the way they do in conventional farming.

Did you know that most of the organic food in the supermarket is not from small family farms, but large agribusinesses like Dean Foods?

Do you think these large corporations are withholding the pesticides? Even small farmers can't withhold the pesticides when they grow pest prone crops. They just switch from a well tested pesticide with residual limits to a less tested one deemed organic and don't have to respect any residual limits.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

And that is not to say - altho I can easily make the case that it is not - that big ag has no farms that have good soil. That is: if a Big Ag farm has good healthy soil, likely the nutrient content of the crop is indistinguishable from organic.

But if we want to get all out of ourselves with the 'healthy', then it is clear the EROEI of organic is lower. Which to the earth is healthier.

Dan

• takadi
    14 years ago

" then it is clear the EROEI of organic is lower. Which to the earth is healthier."

I think this sums it all up

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Sums what up? The OP was about health food 'nutts' (not implying that all who make healthy diet choices are 'nutts'. The OP was talking about those that go overboard, to the point of it being an eating disorder), and the topic morphed when 'organic foods are healthier' was illogically stated. THEN, Dan ended his comments with an observation about what's healthier for the earth. I'm not being critical of Dan's opinion, but I am questioning how the leap in logic was made, and just exactly what Dan "summed up"?

I so often see where a person seizes on a phrase in a text or a post and and uses it to further a personal ideology. Dan also stated in the same post, "... if a Big Ag farm has good healthy soil, likely the nutrient content of the crop is indistinguishable from organic." If you wish to take Dan's offering as an excellent summation (and I'm not passing judgment one way or another), then why pick and choose the phrases or sentences that only mesh with an individual ideology?

Al

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

Isn't this the organic "gardening" forum? Are we not gardeners? We don't debate the virtues of produce grown on massive factory-farms because we grow our own. We care not what happens in such mad places as the Salinas valley and Whole Food markets, as long as we have our sprouts and our little scale to measure our daily allotment of sesame seeds --whoops, strike that last part.......

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

We care not what happens in such mad places as the Salinas valley and Whole Food markets

Well, my point was we should care. And why the organic movement falls short when making blanket statements about food nutrition.

Changing the scale of consideration allows us to see that certain statements are flat wrong. This is all of the same piece with the point of the article quoted by the OP.

Dan