Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a clear cut case of Downy Mildew?? Advice

Posted by moonlightcsp none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 19:31

I seem to be having problems with my greenhouse cantaloupes and Tigger Melons I did find a few spider mites on most leaves but it really looks like downy mildew can someone please give me their opinion and what the best solution for it is, being only a few weeks away from harvest should I worry? its been spreading too from one side of the greenhouse to the other, its been humid but still lots of sun and heat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a clear cut case of Downy Mildew?? Advice

Forgot to mention I'm growing in Eastern Canada if the temp makes a difference, I always water from the bottom, leaves never get watered, I did try a little skim milk/water to see if it would help but didn't.

o

What does the UNDERside of the leaves look like?

o

Not downy mildew. More likely mites and/or nutritional issues.

o

• Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 2:36

To me, this looks like a case of magnesium deficiency, or just maybe spider mites.
I was going to link pictures, but they all seemed to be of marijuana!
The non-dodgy stuff seemed to be mostly PDF.
Most nutritional 'fixes' are very slow, but if it is a mg deficiency, I've foliar sprayed epsom salts with almost scarily fast results.
It's not fixing the soil imbalances that caused the problem, but it can help get the plants through until there's an opportunity to do more long-term soil work.

o

Downey mildew generally occurs in cooler temperatures, 60 degrees, so hot and humid probably is not causing DM.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Downey Mildew

o

I'm going to foilar spray them with my Epson salt spray and see but I think it could be spider mites, I sprayed them all with dawn soap and water but no improvement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here