Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musickep

Fall Garden

musickep
12 years ago

Ok New to fall gardening......What do you put in your fall garden and when did you start it? Or have you started it? Is it ok to start somethings now? Thanks! :)

KP

Comments (10)

• PunkRotten
    12 years ago

Cool weather crops like lettuce, beets, garlic, carrots, radishes, arugula, cilantro, parsley, kale, brussel sprouts etc. It depends on what zone you are in. I am in Zone 9 and I am starting in the next few days. Some people start in August cause they have shorter seasons.

• veeta
    12 years ago

You can find schedules online that give you exact dates for your zone. Here is one:
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-InteractiveTools.aspx
    I am also in zone 7, but you should check your local extension service to learn your first frost date.

I should have sown my seeds already, but I think there is still time because I use row cover and plastic greenhouse covers. ASAP I will be sowing lettuce, spinach, arugula, radishes, carrots, beets, turnips, kale, collards, green onions, peas, fava beans, mache, and tatsoi. If I can find good transplants at the garden center this weekend, I will try broccoli or cauliflower. I have never been able to get those going in midsummer in time to transplant them.

• musickep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ! Veeta - wow fava beans. are those pretty easy to grow? I am not sure what they look like - are they bush plants? We need fava beans to grind into flour because Im gluten free....... so do you get your seeds locally or from johnny seeds?

• GreeneGarden
    12 years ago

My favorites are collards, turnips, and kale.

In good soil, fava are tall and bushy with thick stems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crop Rotation

• veeta
    12 years ago

I got my favas from Botanical Interests. They are easy to grow, but I admit I have not had gangbuster yields yet.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I never ate a fava bean. How do you prepare them? Do they kinda taste like any other bean? What is tatsoi. I am looking for plants I can eat. Down here in the south most people love collard greens. I can't stand them. I guess it's because I'm a transplanted Yankee! Too hot to put lettuce in here yet. We will grow a few collards from seed for hubby and the chickens. I don't know who likes them better him or the girls? (the chickens.)By the way, my name is Maggie. Zacky is my cat. That is part of my e-mail address.

• veeta
    12 years ago

Fava beans are rather unusual in that when eating them green you have to peel the skin off the individual beans after removing them from the pod. You do the de-skinning part after boiling them.
    They can also be dried.
    Tat soi is an Asian green like bok choy but smaller. It is delicious!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I never skin favas. (We call them broad beans and grow and eat a lot of them.) If you pick them young and tender, about the size of my finger nail, they don't need it.

• feijoas
    12 years ago

I never peel broad beans either. If they get big and tough, I leave them in the plants to mature and dry for falafel or next years' beans.
    Broad beans are a great cover-crop, fixing nitrogen and producing loads of biomass for mulch and compost.
    The plants generally get pretty tall (5-6 feet+) and are best grown in blocks. I put a sturdy stake in the corners of the block and tie strips of sheet between them, adding more as the plants grow. They WILL flop over if not supported.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

The height depends on the variety. There are dwarf varieties at about 1 - 2 ft and medium sized ones. I grow various kinds including Aquadulce to overwinter and Masterpiece Green Longpod for spring sowing.Both are ca 3 - 3.5 feet.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz