Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neat Vinegar

Posted by michelle1977 9 (michelle@keepsakeworld.com) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 20:39

Hi Guys, I normally post on the FL forum..

what is "neat" vinegar? and I seen that normal household vinegar is 5% and it can be used to kill weeds... but a stronger one would be needed for some... where would I get stronger vinegar? and I assume I would need to be very careful b/c it could harm my good plants??? also, would it get into my soil and mess it up?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neat Vinegar

I usually take mine on the rocks...no, wait, that's apple cider. Not sure what neat vinegar is. I have found a cleaning vinegar (7%) in the cleaners aisle of some stores and there is a higher % out there that I've never bought. Yes, you would need to be careful with it as it is not a selective killer. Paint it on the leaves of what you want to kill (cut leaves absorb it more). It is an acid, after all, and could burn the roots of desired plants if it got into the soil in quantity.

tj

o
RE: Really Neat Vinegar

Looks like neat vinegar is just what it sounds like- undiluted, straight vinegar.

tj

o

Thank you!!

o

Undiluted, distilled white vinegar is sometimes described as "Neat Vinegar."

Adapted From GoSelfSufficient.co.uk-
http://www.goselfsufficient.co.uk/homemade-cleaning-products.html

Homemade Cleaning Products - White distilled vinegar is a malt vinegar and has a very pungent odor and while it is believed that white distilled vinegar is the most suitable cleaning vinegar the smell just isn't easy to cope with. White Spirit vinegar has the same 5% acidity, its cleaning properties are identical to that of white distilled but its smell is milder and easier to mask. White spirit vinegar is brewed from molasses and contains no chemicals.

o

I have heard of a20% white vinegar ued to kill weeds. Neat or not, it's stronger than the stuff we keep in the kitchen. Sorry to say i have no idea where to get it.

o

To kill weeds, what you are looking for is call horticultural vinegar.

o

I use household vinegar to kills weeds. Works great. If I'm putting it someplace that I never intend to grow anything I add some salt and dish soap (as a binder).

If I think I might plant something else in the space I'm spraying eventually I skip the salt. I have a geriatric cat who gets into everything I do so I don't use Round-Up but this concoction instead. You do have to be quite careful of any existing plants you wish to keep.

Kate

o

Neat is the correct term for what most of us call a herd of cattle. Neats Foot Oil was made from cattle feet. Perhaps neat vinegar is cattle urine. Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here