Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use compost as mulch?

Posted by karenfharr z9B/FL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 23:14

Hi,
Dumb question from a brand-new organic lawn and gardener, planning to start making compost.
I've seen mention of using compost to mulch plant beds, but wouldn't it grow weeds like crazy unless it had mulch on top of it to suppress weed growth?

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use compost as mulch?

Compost, used as mulch, would be no more apt to grow "weeds" than any other material. If your mulch did not grow "weeds" you would not want to use that material because it would be dead and would not feed yor soil with anything. Most often the "weeds" that do appear in any mulch, whether compost or not, will come from seeds from outside, blown in by the wind, dropped by birds, carried on some animals fur, from the soil below, but seldom from the mulch material itself.

o

g'day karen,

can't see weeds being any sort of issue, but for me compost comes under the food for the garden aspect so yes spread it around on top of the bed, in prefference to digging it in then cover it with some sort of mulch, my prefferences are the green type spoilt hay mulches can be lucern or pasture grass's, and sugar cane mulch.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

o

Hi - not a dumb question @ all = )

I think it depends very much on what kind of compost we're talking here - if it's the bagged stuff from the store, then the weed problem is practically nil - I spread composted bagged cow manure w/ nothing on top & it's fine. But if I use my home-made stuff, weeds(& volunteers) will be EVERYWHERE!

That's not always a big problem, tho - if I pull or hoe the sprouts while they're small.

Hay, straw, grass mulches are my preference for veggies - leaves, wood, bark mulches for fruits, most ornamentals & flowers.In our relentless FL sun, I find compost alone can dry out quickly - sometimes forming a hard crust & a thick layer of organic mulch will keep things more moist & friable.

HTH

o

If you have a good hot compost then that should kill any seeds that may be in it. Or if you are very particular about what you put in your compost and make sure no seeds from weed get thrown in there then you shouldn't have a problem with weeds. But even if you do get weed seeds in your compost that don't get cooked when you use it as mulch the weeds can be pulled very easily with little to no effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here