Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Cedar Mulch is annoying me! Can it do damage if...

Posted by daylily77 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 0:07

Whenever people talk about planting with mulch already in a bed, they just say that they move the mulch aside and then plant. It seems as if it's no problem for them. But for me it is such a problem! I try moving all the mulch aside, but then it's all over other plants, there's no room for just the soil to be stacked without the mulch envading, etc! I just planted a new Daylily plant that I got today and it was such a mess, with the mulch getting all throughout the soil! Is this going to hurt my plants? I really wish I hadn't put that mulch in now. I'd much rather just mulch with organic matter so I didn't have to worry about it mixing in when planting. How long will it take for this mulch to disintegrate? Will the buried mulch (there is tons of it!) disintegrate faster? If so, how much faster? I hope it will be a LOT faster. I can't stand having this stuff in my soil.

I've also heard people say that their mulch always makes it's way back to the top after rain, and that doesn't happen for me either! It just stays throughout my soil. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Cedar Mulch is annoying me! Can it do damage if...

no, it won't return to the top once mixed in - cedar is one of the longer lasting woods, needs lots of N to break down, but it will - meanwhile you'll need to be adding regular hi-N materials to supply enuff for the plants, as the cedar will tie it up

Bill

o

What qualifies as a high-N material? I'll be adding some tomorrow because this is worrying me! Thanks so much for your reply!

P.S. Approximately how long do you think it will take for the buried ones to break down?

o

That is one of the reasons why I do not recommend using wood chips, or any other woody material, as a mulch in flower beds. If your soil has been well amended with compost and other organic matter there should be enough Nitrogen in the soil to take care of a small amount of woody material, the problem really comes when large quantities of woody material are mixed into the soil. Watch the daylilly and see how it grows before getting overly concerned. Depending on how healthy your soil is the cedar mulch may get digested fairly fast, a year, or it may last for quite some time if the soil is not really healthy.

o

"there's no room for just the soil to be stacked without the mulch envading, etc! I just planted a new Daylily plant that I got today and it was such a mess, with the mulch getting all throughout the soil!"

daylily, you might find this will help, what I do when planting is push the mulch aside so it is out of the way of the hole Im digging, then as I dig out the soil, I put it into a pot, put the plant in, and then use the soil from the pot to fill it in, push the mulch back over to cover it all up. if there isnt enough room to push the mulch aside, just have a second pot on hand to put the mulch into aswell and tip it back on when youre finished planting.

TG

o

I mulch almost excusively with pine straw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here