Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sotx_gw

Protection from caliche dust

SoTX
12 years ago

Is there a product I can coat leaves of trees and plants with that will protect them from caliche dust? The oil companies are here and big trucks are throwing up serious dust (toxic) killing my plants & trees. I've lost 11 fruit trees, all my blackberries, etc. Rinsing them off does little good with trucks running 24/7. Dust control is mandated by EPA but I've been stuck in bureaucratic BS for months with no action, meanwhile losing my groceries. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Comments (8)

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

I am astounded that caliche dust would be or would be thought to be toxic. I have never seen the abundant limestone dust from quarries or limestone roads suspected of the least harm except as a nuisance. Is it so dry there that you somehow have a high sodium content?

• SoTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Caliche=sodium nitrate et al--toxic to humans, animals and plants. It took me six months and way more than I can afford to get hair back on my dogs--all 4 get meds daily. The road in question was a dead end with no traffic & less than 75' from my home, plus I am downwind. Exceptional drought here.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Don't know if this will help, but here's info from Arizona Master Gardener Manual
    http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/soils/caliche.html

Here is a link that might be useful: caliche from Arizona Master Gardener Manual

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

I'll be darned. I see now that half the definitions of "caliche" refer to the calcium carbonate soil zone I knew about and half refer to the sodium nitrate type. I can see how that would be a problem. You could never get sodium nitrate to dry here, even in drought: it would pull the moisture right out of the air to dampen itself (at least at night even in drought).

• borderbarb
    12 years ago

Are these trucks driving on dirt roads? If so, I'm wondering why the oil company can't be required to pave [oil] the road. Also can you document [with video or still pictures] the daily accumulation of caliche dust? Are other people being adversely affected? If so, combining your efforts to contact health dept, state,county,fed officials might prove effective. Good luck!

• SoTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gonebananas:
    Yes, and pulls the moisture right out of the plants.

borderbarb:
    I have contacted everyone but Obama! Dealing with Big Oil, remember? Raping the land & then will move on. In the midst of extreme drought, they take as much water as they want to frack. I haven't given up, but I need a way to protect what's left of what took years to create. No, I have not given them an oil lease on this place & called the law (3x) when they came over my fences--barbed wire and hotwire--anyway. Fortunately, I have 4 security dogs.

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

I'm not familiar with the problem, but would covering the plants with something like mosquito netting help at all? Then go by and shake them as you're coughing behind your respirator?

Sue