Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Zealand garden photos

Posted by pippimac New Zealand (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 3:36

I've finally worked out the photo thing, so please indulge me...
I'm in the Southern hemishere, so it's spring and the brassicas haven't all bolted yet. (those giant caulis are 'violet Sicilian' and their heads get massive. Impress your friends: grow enormous purple cauliflowers!
And broad beans. Me, the bumblebees and the worms think broad beans rock!
And tomatoes. I've gotta give away loads; my garden's really only big enough for 10 plants. I keep having these sick fantasies featuring hundreds of tomatoes on acres of land.
By the way, the shrubs in the middle/top photo are natives. New Zealand plants aren't showy, but they're beautiful.
tomatoes>broad beans etc>
brassica madnessbroad beanscloseup front garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Zealand garden photos

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 8:56

pippimac

They're beautiful! Have you mixed ornamentals and edibles in the same plots? I see containers and also what look like in-ground plants, too.

[Your last two pictures don't show, but when you click on the little symbols, they open. If you put a Return between the photo links, they will show up one by one vertically.]

I've always wanted to visit New Zealand!

o

Pippimac have you read my reply to your earlier post? In particular are you interested in exchanging chile pepper seeds?
Brien

Here is a link that might be useful: NZ Gardeners and Garlic

o

Is that a lovely little rose campion I spy? Do you shear it to get it to stay so full and compact? Wish I was in NZ now! We're just about to enter blizzard season. Ah, NZ. All the beauty of New England packed into a country 500 miles long and 180 miles wide. Loved Wellington. Kinda a cross between Camden Maine and Portsmouth New Hampshire. The South Island Rocks! The lush foliage, ferns, bromeliads all along the mountain passes from Franz Josef to Christchurch. One could stand by the ocean at 45 degrees, then walk uphill a couple hundred yards and be standing in snow. Apricots the size of lacrosse balls, and you needed a bib to eat them. Eucalypts that rival our mightiest oaks. Pints of Lion Brown and Steinlarger for 50 cents, delivered fresh daily by tank truck to my favorite pub in Wellington. And the people were just as nice as their country! Thanks for sharing the pics and reviving some memories. Enjoy a beautiful summer in you beautiful country!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here