Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Fertilizer unopened bag, use it now or...?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 5:46

I bought some organic fertilizer back in early summer when it was on sale and then got too busy to pay much attention to the garden this year. I'm thinking it may be too late to add fertilizer, right? I wouldn't want to start new growth in any plants going into the winter? I'm talking about shrubs and perennials, not vegetables. I just don't want to waste it and not sure how potent it will be if I keep it in the basement all winter. Any advice? Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Fertilizer unopened bag, use it now or...?

Now probably would not be a good time to spread that around but in a few weeks, as the plants are entering dormancy could be. That would be better then putitng the bag in the basement where it may get forgotten for years.
Compost could be spread now, but not a fertilizer that may bew fairly soluble and readily available.

o

prairiemoon, you didn't say what brand you bought, but I use Milorganite and it stores beautifully. Early spring probably your best bet. You're right to be cautious now.

o

Thanks, I think I bought a couple of different kinds of Espoma, I wonder if that is soluble or more long acting?

o

The Espoma "-tone" products have some fast-acting nitrogen and the rest are meals that require a warmer soil to decompose. There is no need to apply now. I have bags of Espoma Rose-tone in my garage from two years ago that I haven't used yet. If needed, store in a plastic bin with a tight lid, it will be fine to use next year.

o

Thanks Diane, I forget which ones I have, Rosetone might be one of them. I thought I read somewhere over the summer that you shouldn't store fertilizer in the garage over the winter because if it freezes it effects it in a way that makes it less effective? So I was going to put mine in the basement over the winter. Have you heard anything about that?

o

If the fertilizer is a liquid freezing might have an adverse affect on it, but if the stuff is dry freezing will have no affect at all on it.

o

great, thanks... :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here