Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Is DH courting disaster with this poison ivy?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

We haven't used chemicals on our property since we've lived here....which is about 24 years. We have 30+ acres with lots of invasives......so it's been a challenge to not use them, and a temptation TO use them.

Fortunately, DH has lots of energy. Anyhow......we have tons of poison ivy growing everywhere.....especially along the fence row around our property.

DH has been hand cutting it, and piling it up in the field.

I found out the other day that he just brings his clothes in and washes them in the washer. He leaves his shoes in the utility room, along with his gloves.

He said that we would have gotten an infection of it by now, and is planning on continuing to treat his clothing this way. He doesn't use bleach.....just detergent.

He doesn't even worry about the lawn tractor he uses during all of this (he doesn't wipe it down).

He's right that we haven't gotten the rash yet from his doing this........but gee.......all I can imagine is that our entire family gets a horrendous case of it.

Can you enlighten me on the risks or non risks from his doing this? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• mbravebird
    17 years ago

My understanding is that it's risky to touch the non-washed things, like his shoes and gloves. And, I would imagine, the blades/edges of the lawnmower.

It's also possible that your dh doesn't have a strong reaction to the Poison Ivy oil.

I got an all-over case of poison ivy after taking off my toddler's PI oil-covered shoes, unknowingly getting the oil on my hands, and then immediately taking a nap, during which I spread the oil to my bed sheets. Yucky for me.

But I found this product, made from jewelweed (nature's natural antidote for Poison Ivy oil), that eased the itching marvelously. Really amazing. I now wash with jewelweed soap instead of regular soap as a preventative, at least in the summer. I haven't gotten any poison ivy since using the soap, and I've been exposed to it plenty. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy preventative and remedy

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

My parents use some product BEFORE they go out and clear the poison oak on their property, it's either Technu or this http://www.ivyblock.com/ivyblock.php. I am not sure, and not sure if it's organic or anything, but my parents are really organic minded, but my mother is so horribly allergic, she may not care. I don't get poison oak, so I don't know.... I can ask them, but it would take a few days.

• anita22
    17 years ago

My understanding is also that it is risky to touch the clothing your DH hasn't washed, as well as any cutting blades or machine parts that have touched the poison ivy. Alot depends on how sensitive you are to the oil. Your DH may not have gotten any reaction yet, but that doesn't mean he may not lose an apparent insensitivity. In his youth, my father never reacted to poison ivy, but around age 50 and after he became so sensitive to the oil that if he walked by poison ivy he'd get a severe case.

Another remedy my family has always used is Absorbine for horses. It breaks down the oil and stops any infection in its tracks. Citrus-based soaps (like the natural orange cleaners widely sold) are very helpful too.

My experience with the plant is that cutting just encourages it to flourish. Take it out by the roots, or if they are very thick, cut an inch chunk out of the root as the plant winds up trees, fence posts, etc. Then the top part will die and you can remove it.
    If you want to get rid of the poison ivy without chemicals or cutting, I'd suggest you lime regularly spring and fall. Poison ivy thrives in acidic soil and changing the pH will stop it in its tracks. Takes a while, but after several seasons you will note a difference.

Good luck and be careful.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

The recommendation for lime should not be followed unless you have a soil pH done. Also, altering the pH of a native soil may cause harm to the established plants and soil borne flora and fauna. Probably not the best method of control the poison ivy.

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

Mowing the poison ivy/oak and then either pulling the roots or covering them with black plastic, or, to be more "organic", cardboard and mulch can starve it out, IF you can completely cover that area. Very frequent mowing can also help. Frequent spraying with vinegar and a little soap/sticker can also kill off the tops, if done on a non-windy day that is sunny and will get over 65F (75F is more effective). Eventually, you will kill off the existing roots. However, since birds eat the berries and spead the seeds, you will also have new plants sprouting. They're fairly easy to pull, as long as you get them young, as I'm sure you know.

I would be careful with your DH's clothes and gloves/shoes, esp. if you have little ones who are into everything. Bleach doesn't do a whole lot for the oils, so I wouldn't worry too much about his not using it in the laundry. But the water temperature should be hot, or very warm, to remove the oils.

As I recall, I wasn't allergic to PI as a child, until I was 8-9, and then very mildly for several years. Now, I am very allergic, so immunity now does NOT mean immunity forever. That said, immunity now sounds like what you and your family have, and first reactions are usually mild ones. As long as you aren't burning it, when anyone who breathes in the smoke can end up in hospital, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye out for itchy, blistery rashes. If you start seeing them, then you will have to take greater precautions. But, the bottom line for now is that no, your husband isn't exactly courting disaster.

• anita22
    17 years ago

In my experience and per the County Extension we consulted years ago, poison ivy flourishes in a 3.5 to 4 pH. Hence the liming recommendation.

As your soil comes closer to neutral you obviously want to exercise care in altering the pH, but for us, on old farmland that had not been limed for 20 to 30 years, the presence of poison ivy indicated the need for lime. As the pH came closer to neutral (which took about 6 years) the poison ivy disappeared.

Just my two cents.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info and suggestions.
    Being a nurse......and aware of things you can't see but can do damage, I just imagined that the oil was everywhere.......on the edges of the washer, on the rug his shoes are on, the steering wheel of the lawn tractor, his hat, etc., etc., etc. Plus.....when he puts his shoes and gloves back on.....everything he touches again in the process will become "contaminated".
    Of course, I'm very itchy since all this happened! (but no rash is showing). The section of poison ivy he was working on was about 12' long and 6' high and several feet deep!! He just piled all the branches up, after cutting them, so I'm sure he had to get oil all over him.
    Okay......we'll just need to be more careful, but I guess I'm hearing that hot soapy water in the washer is okay, and it won't survive in there for the next load of clothes?

I thought I was immune to it. I got it on my back when I was about 7, and my mother scrubbed it with a brush and I think it was Fels Naptha soap. I never got it since........until last year. Thought I'd go crazy. So I'm a believer in immunity not lasting forever. Do you think the stuff I got last year will help protect me for awhile??
    I'm in central INdiana, and our soil is VERY alkaline........although the poison ivy grows everywhere.
    Our pediatrician told us once that there is a yearly vaccine for it, but they don't use it any more. I wonder why?
    Thanks again for all your great responses!

• habitat_gardener
    17 years ago

Swabbing with generous amounts of rubbing alcohol is the most effective way to remove it from the skin for several hours after contact.

Here is a link that might be useful: dealing with poison ivy/oak

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I had to laugh at your sudden knowledge of what your DH has been doing, yet to that moment, no one had come down with raging reactions. Of course, you know how it is. Now that you're aware, it'll happen.

I was also not allergic to PI until I moved to the country and rubbed it all over my body with my cell phone. Long story.

I learned that PI can be steroid resistant. I learned that like humans have blood, plants have urushiol oil. For example, my friend reacts to the morning glory family like it was PI.

I learned that if you get PI on your forearms or your stomach, it's more likely to go systemic.

I also learned that you don't need "generous swabbings" of alcahol or bleach, or hot towels, etc. Or to carry it around with you. Why waste time?

All I/you need is a degreasing soap. Oil + degreaser = no oil. oil + water or not enough bleach or alcohol = spread it all over yourself. Follow me?

I had PI all over our 6 acres, to the point where it covered the house we bought. I had these gorgeous, weeping trees along my fence lines we learned were actually fence posts with PI growing up them so thickly it rose over 15' into the air. Ick. Makes my hair stand on end.

Now, if I think I'll be working near PI, pulling out the roots (I can get PI from the dirt the roots are in) or mowing the field where it hides in the clover? I used to use Technu before hand, but now? I just rub degreasing Dawn dishsoap on my arms and exposed areas. Less expensive and washes off pretty well.:)

If I even think I've been near PI, I go into the house and rub dishwashing soap or Lever 2000 all over me using as little (cold) water as possible. I wait a few minutes, brushing my teeth or something, then hop into the shower. Don't forget to wash your hair well!

Although I've flirted with PI since I had a huge, total-body reaction, I can guarantee you if you use some sort of degreaser after you're done gardening, you won't react. If you did (and not from the clothes someone leaves lying around) I'll buy your soap.

Another myth is that you can catch PI from someone's outbreak. No. Our bodies don't produce urushiol; it's not parasitic. That's just your body reacting.

Put on a space suit and pull out the roots. If you don't, it grows back from the tiniest little root hair. ICK!

Good luck with your giant pile in the field, 'cause even dead, those leaves can get you.

Christine

• darkcloud
    17 years ago

i would tend to think if the whole fam damily hasn't come down with it yet - you are not what i would call "allergic"!!!
    keep doin whatever you are doin- change and you are doomed

• marylandmojo
    17 years ago

In my area (Maryland/Virginia), Poison Ivy (Oak, Sumac) does not grow in the "open", or in full sun. It prefers semi-shaded areas, and particularly grows from under things, that offer shade. It grows on trees and structures that at least offer partial shade during the day. I'm sure other areas of the country may be quite different. Also, as a child, I was extremely allergic to PI--I've had large boils between my fingers and toes, and up and down other areas of my body. I was raised partially in the city and partially in the country. My country relatives couldn't believe a person could be SO allergic--they used to rub PI on their arms and face, and would never get a reaction. My father and uncles said that they, too, were very allergic when young--they just "outgrew" it. Sure enough, PI doesn't bother me at all anymore--I can actually rub it on my body, also, with no reaction. Have I "outgrown" it? I've always thought that continuing exposure eventually negates its effects--like taking small doses of antivenon to negate (or lessen) the reaction from an actual snake bite. Now that I read (above) that there are those who were immune, but lost their immunity--it certainly causes me to wonder what the hail is going on with PI.

• jerryg_nj
    17 years ago

Your home--at least the utility room--is likely a hazard to visitors. Some 80% of people are allergic to poison ivy; your family is obviously not. Since most people wouldn't think they can contract it indoors, you might never hear about any cases transmitted by your utility room.

Check out "see the rashs" in the link to see how awful some cases can be.

JerryG

Here is a link that might be useful: PI Link