Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting an acre of Potatoes

Posted by slacker (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 13:12

Hello all I am trying to understand somethings. IN the next few years, I am planning on planting 2 acres of potatoes ( organic) for sale at a local farmers market. I have done some research, and found that the yeild for an acre of potatoes can be around 220 cwt. Now from what I understand is that cwt stands for hundred pounds, so does that mean the yeild can be 22000 lbs / acre?

I am thinking that this cant be right, because that is 11 tons of potatoes per acre, so i think i am doing something wrong, any help from you more experienced folks out there?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting an acre of Potatoes

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 19:20

Because you are a commercial grower, you need professional advice beyond what we home growers/gardeners can offer.

Contact your county's university Extension office and ask to speak with an agent.

Your county's Extension office may not have such a person in that particular office but they should be able to tell you how to contact an agent. In our region, such a person would be called a Small Farms Agent.

I would get you started as to who to contact but I don't have the slightest clue where you live.

o

Thanks, but the only thing I am asking is the cwt (hundred weight) Just wondering if anyone has info on that, but thanks for the other advise I will look into it.

o

Your calculation is correct. Yields vary but your numbers sound reasonable. With irrigation and optimal soil, yields might be higher yet. The linked page shows yields of 39,300 pounds per acre. Yup, that's almost 20 tons per acre :0

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato facts

o

That is hard to believe, isnt it? I guess one of the problems and might be conscidered the biggest one , is where to sell a crop like this, I know a farmer market would be one place, but 5 acres at ultimate yeild would be 200,000 pounds of taters. @ .70 / pound that is 140,000 american dollars. Not to shabby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here