Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will adding coffee grounds to plants attract cockroaches?

Posted by ameera z11+ Dubai (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 15:38

hello,

It is close to the season for growing veggies over here and I have been looking at amendments I can add to soil to help my plants.

One highly recommended thing I see here is to use coffee grounds.

My only concern is, I have read that a way to kill those large cockroaches (which we have here) is to add coffee grounds and some water in a glass jar and place it by a wall so the cockroaches crawl in and drown.

Has anyone ended up with attracting cockroaches by adding used coffee grounds to their gardens?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will adding coffee grounds to plants attract cockroaches?

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 4:44

Never have seen a problem and I use coffee grounds inside, outside, and in the greenhouse.

o

Cockroaches are omnivores, they eat anything and everything, so if they are around they probably would eat the coffee grounds as well as any other decaying organic matter. If the environment is one they like, a source of food and moisture and sufficiently warm, they will be there. Like many other insects outside of the house they are not real problems. SoTX probably has them around.

o

Coffee grounds wouldn't be any more attractive than other organic matter. We have them here, too. They were in the yard before I started making new gardening beds so the issue of attracting them to a location where they already are is a moot point. You can't garden successfully without adding organic matter to the soil and unless you remove all of it, roaches will come and eat it if they want to. On the upside, roaches are food for lizards, toads, birds. Just another part of the food chain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here