Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

Code enforcement targets urban garden.

Seeds of Discontent "[C]ity's code enforcement department has deemed ... urban garden a nuisance, and a judge has ordered them to remove the small ecosystem they've been working on for the last two years. "

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Unfortunately this is happening more often then in the past. Often it is the municipalities code enforcemnet officers acting on their own with no complaints from neighbors that do this.

• rosiew
    12 years ago

albert, so glad you've told us about this. In the letters to the editor is a link to a petition that can be signed, along with a link to a Facebook page that I've added on my Facebook page.

This is Oak Park, MI all over again. Julie in Oak Park won her case. I beieve that this math teacher can also. As of this morning, the article is the most commented upon in this Memphis newspaper! I'll review the comments. Almost all, maybe all, are supportive of Mr. Guerrero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article and reader comments

• rosiew
    12 years ago

albert, so glad you've told us about this. In the letters to the editor is a link to a petition that can be signed, along with a link to a Facebook page that I've added on mine.

This is Oak Park, MI all over again. Julie in Oak Park won her case. I beieve that this math teacher can also. As of this morning, the article is the most commented upon in this Memphis newspaper! I'll review the comments. Almost all, maybe all, are supported Mr. Guerrero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article and reader comments

• rosiew
    12 years ago

bump - adding explanation of purple's link to petition above: Shelby County Environmental Court: Overturn the ruling that deems Mr. Guerrero's garden a nuisance.

I signed last Saturday. Urge others to report that they have also.

Here is a link that might be useful: petition

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

This isn't targeting an organic garden, calm down. It is poorly written nuisance law. Again. Deja vu.

Dan

• rosiew
    12 years ago

This in my email box from Kitchen Gardeners International

Breaking News: Adam Gets to Keep His Front Yard Garden!
    Readers of our last newsletter know that kitchen gardens and urban homesteading went on trial this week in Memphis when high school teacher, Adam Guerrero, was ordered to remove his garden or face legal action. Thousands of petition signatures, video views, facebook likes and emails later, I'm thrilled to report that Adam gets to keep his front yard garden. And it gets even better because the city of Memphis was so impressed by the support Adam and his garden received that it's going to help him locate a lot in his neighborhood for a new community garden. I'm proud that the KGI community was able to play such an active role in this case. Thanks to all who supported this campaign. Your efforts combined with those from others from the food garden movement helped send a strong statement that kitchen gardens are not the problem, but are a key part of the solution to healthy and sustainable communities. Thanks and best wishes, Roger

PS: And please remember what your mom taught you: be sure to say thank you. After receiving so many emails from KGI members this week with "Save Adama's Garden" in the subject header, Judge Potter would probably be quite happy to receive a few with "Thank You." You can send them here: larry.potter@shelbycountytn.gov

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

That's cool about the Community Garden.

I'm still sad that they are spinning this like gardens are under attack, tho. I guess that nuisance law doesn't sell subscriptions.

Dan