Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aspirin for powdery mildew???

Posted by woohooman San Diego z 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 17:36

I was reading an old thread and somebody mentioned aspirin for fungal problems but nobody answered my recent post, so i thought I'd try to get an answer with a new thread.

First, is it and effective? And second, can somebody please post the recipe?

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aspirin for powdery mildew???

I've never heard of it used that way, but here's the recipe:

o

Sounds expensive.

A quart of basic hydrogen peroxide to 1 gal of water works.

o

Wow gargwarb! Took the time out of your day to reply and all you came up with is THAT??? What a savant!!

TMG1:

I don't know about that until I see the recipe. Actually, @ $.99/pint at the dollar store, the H2O2 recipe sounds kind of expensive.

Let's see --- a lb. of sulfur or a pint of neem oil costs 8-11 bucks and I can get 16-20 gal of product. 2 bucks/gal your way. Like I said, I won't know how cost effective until I see the recipe.

By the way, Click on the link. That's where I read it.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspirin technique

o

Yea your right that is not cheap. I just thught you only needed to make 1 gal or so. I would say just stay with the sulfur, That would be way cheaper then aspirin. You can make up to 20 gal with a lb of sulfur you say? For only 10 dollars, thats really good.

o

Apparently to get enough Aspirin into the mix to control PM you would cause other plant damage and that would be expensive in other ways.
I have had success contolling Powdery Mildew by spraying with either a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in 1 quart of water or a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk. Cornell University say Potassium Carbonate is more effective then Sodium Carbonate but I have a hard time finding that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asprin for Powdery Mildew

o

Took the time out of your day to reply and all you came up with is THAT??? What a savant!!

I prefer "idiot savant". It sounds more old timey.

o

And, because I feel bad abut being flippant in my first post, here's the real recipe:

Materials

3.0 g salicylic acid
6 mL acetic anhydride*
5-8 drops of 85% phosphoric acid or concentrated sulfuric acid*
distilled water (about 50 mL)
10 mL ethanol
1% iron III chloride (optional, to test purity)

*Use extreme caution when handling these chemicals. Phosphoric or sulfuric acid and acetic anhydride can cause severe burns.

Equipment

filter paper (12.5 cm)
ring stand with funnel
two 400 mL beakers
125 mL Erlenmeyer flask
50 mL buret or measuring pipet
10 mL and 50 mL graduated cylinder
fume hood, hot plate, balance
dropper
stirring rod
ice bath
wash bottle

Accurately weigh 3.00 grams of salicylic acid and transfer to a dry Erlenmeyer flask. If you will be calculating actual and theoretical yield, be sure to record how much salicylic acid you actually measured.
Add 6 mL of acetic anhydride and 5-8 drops of 85% phosphoric acid to the flask.
Gently swirl the flask to mix the solution. Place the flask in a beaker of warm water for ~15 minutes.
Add 20 drops of cold water dropwise to the warm solution to destroy the excess acetic anhydride.
Add 20 mL of water to the flask. Set the flask in an ice bath to cool the mixture and speed crystallization.
When the crystallization process appears complete, pour the mixture through a Buckner funnel.
Apply suction filtration through the funnel and wash the crystals with a few milliliters of ice cold water. Be sure the water is near freezing to minimize loss of product.
Perform a recrystallization to purify the product. Transfer the crystals to a beaker. Add 10 mL of ethanol. Stir and warm the beaker to dissolve the crystals.
After the crystals have dissolved, add 25 mL of warm water to the alcohol solution. Cover the beaker. Crystals will reform as the solution cools. Once crystallization has started, set the beaker in an ice bath to complete the recrystallization.
Pour the contents of the beaker into a Buckner funnel and apply suction filtration.
Remove the crystals to dry paper to remove excess water.
Confirm you have acetylsalicylic acid by verifying a melting point of 135C.

o

Yea using Asprin for powdery mildew? Is this really a joke?

o

gargwarb:

After that latest post, I'm changing my opinion to just plain MORON.

kimmsr:

Thanks for the info about the aspirin. Yes, I've tried the baking soda thing and haven't really had good results. How often do you apply?

TMG1:

That's why I was inquiring about it -- It sounded very inexpensive if all it took was a few tabs/gal. I read about it HERE -- click on my link above.

Kevin

o

Oh, you take yourself far too seriously. Lighten up a bit. You might even make a friend or too.

o

How often to apply either the baking soda or milk mixtures depends on the weather and how bad the problem is, but seldom more than twice a week.

o

gargwarb:

Aw, c'mon! You were TRYING to be funny, now so am I.

:)

Thanks Everybody. Although I didn't get a ton of feedback, the general opinion is NO aspirin.

Kevin

o

https://sites.google.com/a/wilsoncountymg.org/www/Home/news/temp-aspirin

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here