Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will butternut squash ripen after harvest?

Posted by Banjonique Nova Scotia (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 19:59

I have a few hundred butternut and buttercup squash plants nearing harvest time and I am wondering if they are picked early if they will ripen off the vine? I want to prepare these bed for garlic in October. The butternuts still have a few green lines on them and the buttercups stems have not yet turned woody or gray which is my usual indicator........the huge amount of work to prep the beds for garlic makes me wonder if picking early might be an option.....what do y'all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will butternut squash ripen after harvest?

They can and will. If possiblr they should be stored someplace where the temperature holds between 5 and 60 degrees wqith an rH between 60 and 70, ie. a root cellar.

o

yep like all pumpkins butternuts will ripen after picking that is as fruit is. they are not noted for being the best storers, bit like the kent pumpkins aka jap(just another pumpkin) pumpkin.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Whoops. That storage temperature should be between 50 and 60 degrees.

o

It depends what you mean by "ripen". If you mean that the taste and texture improves, then maybe. But they will never be as good as those ripened fully on the vine. Further, the shells will not harden and become protective for long term storage, as noted. So plan to eat them relatively soon.

o

Nothing has the flavor of any fully plant ripened fruit but they will taste at least as good as those you get at your grocers, many of which have no flavor at all.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 18:21

In 2010 I grow butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata) & had 4 or 5 last till march of 2011.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here