Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Gluten - Looking for Very Specific Info

Posted by Alvy CA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 21:45

Hi everyone,

Last year I used Corn Gluten Meal on a huge (300ft x 20ft) mulched area on my property to prevent weeds. It worked great, and the difference between the areas with it and without it was undeniable. I know there's some debate about it, but for me, the stuff works!

The problem is finding it in bulk. The place I used last year (via amazon.com) has upped their prices, and I know that cheaper options exist.

I have done HOURS and DAYS of research online, and called literally DOZENS of feed stores in Southern California, but to no avail. And everything online is so vague: "try feed stores in your area, they're super cheap!" "lots of online sellers," "I bought it at a local place for $8 for 50 pounds, but strangely don't know the name or number of where I got it!" etc. I'm reaching the end of my rope.

So, I'm turning to you lovely people for help :-)

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
--Corn Gluten Meal in bulk, as cheap as possible, but at least under about $30 for 50 pounds.
--If you've found it, then specific info on where you got it (Feed stores, Co-Ops, Granaries, Farm Suppliers), including the name of the business and some kind of contact info like a phone number, address, website, email, or even simply the company name, city, and state. It doesn't matter what state it is located in: if the price is as low as some people say, then even with shipping it will be a good deal.

WHAT I'M *NOT* LOOKING FOR
--Product that comes in 5-25 pound bags, labeled as "pre-emergent herbicide." The prices are several times higher than what you can get in bulk.

Thanks, everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Gluten - Looking for Very Specific Info

Do you REALLY want to pay shipping for large amounts like that???

If not, please tell us at least what COUNTY you live in. No one is going to try to track you down to drown your property in weed seeds while you sleep.

Sue

o

Belgianpup, you are one cranky, sarcastic pup, aren't you?

o

Don't know where you live, but check farm stores.

o

"Belgianpup, you are one cranky, sarcastic pup, aren't you?"

So, you've got a problem with that???

The location thing is a pet peeve with me. Here we have someone asking a question, and someone else here may know the ideal answer, but we don't know because the OP may be in Maine, Florida, California, or Montana.

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to say, "You're in Hudson Co, NY? PERFECT! Just take your pickup to Bill's Organic Hut on 15th St. and he'll load you up with corn gluten meal, $50 for a whole pickup load! But be sure to take a tarp."

Instead, the person who has that ideal answer doesn't know the OP lives in his county, so he just shrugs and goes on to the next thread.

Well, in a perfect world, I would have won the lottery by now.

Sue, the Sarcastic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here