Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jogwen_gw

Organic Fertilizer

jogwen
10 years ago

This is a further follow up to Valerie RU's KWAS organic fertilizer recipe, which I have tried and adapted myself and is working okay for me.

KWAS organic plant fertilizer

Can be used diluted in water for plants:
1. Watering
2. Sprinkling
3. Spraying
Very usefull fertiliser and pest controller.
I tried it on home broad leaved plants like Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis. The leaves started to sprout out & grow quite quickly, and the whitefly pest just did not like it & disappeared.

Recipe:
4 Tablespoons of Light Rye Flour to gallon water.
1 teaspoon of Lemon juice or Citric acid powder.
1 Gallon of warm tap water.

I Use two, 2 litre plastic milk bottles with screw tops to seal the bottles. Fill the bottles with 34C.- 80F. warm water, leaving room for 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or diluted Citric acid powder, and 2 tablespoons of Rye flour in each bottle. Keep the bottles sealed & shaken three to four times daily (if possible) for 4 days. After this time it should be ready to water your plants at a ratio of 5:1 & spray the leaves with it at a ratio of 50:1.

Special Note:
The water from a normal domestic water supply is around pH 7, which may lead the Rye flour water mix into an alkaline fermentation. To overcome this and make Rye flour lactate, you need to make the water around pH 4-5 by adding 1 teaspoon of Lemon juice or Citric acid powder per gallon of water to stop the Rye flour going into instant alkaline fermentation, which is what we don�t want. If your bottle goes rapidly into instant alkaline fermentation the bottle will start to smell very badly. This means you will have to start another batch. If you are unlucky with your first attempt, try adding a little more citric acid as this will make the water pH much lower, but be careful, do not over acidify the water, or the Rye flour may not go into lactation and increase Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Keep the bottles vigorously shaken three to four times a day for 4 days, by then the liquid should be like watery milk in colour, with a white to biscuit colour rye flour sediment in the bottom, also
It will have a slight yoghurty acid smell when finished, this should now be ready for use. Although, it�s best left standing for a few weeks in the sealed plastic bottles to mature. When left standing & sealed with the screw caps on, the yoghurty smell will eventually disappear over a period of time. If you leave your bottles open to the air for any length of time they will start to smell musty, so keep the caps screwed on.

Fermenting Process:
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a homofermentative species, fermenting sugars into lactic acid, and grows readily at rather low pH values (below pH 5.0) and has an optimum growth temperature of around 37 �C (99 �F).
Beneficial bacteria in organic KWAS is, lacto bacteria, yeasts, nutrients, lactic acid, vitamins and plenty of carbohydrates, also, microbes which extract nitrogen from the air to produce food for the plants.