Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b_annap

Pest Problem

Bplace
10 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of effective wayts to keep Raccoons out of your garden. there are either 1 or 2 raccoons in my neighborhood that dig up my garden on a nightly basis and when my tomatoes were ripe would pick and eat them. I am really frustrated at this and would love any help I can get!!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

I can think of 4 things to either inhibit or eliminate raccoons.

Dogs, traps, guns, and electric fences.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Next door neighbor had dogs, did not help.
    Tried traps too, other then the bear claw type, and the raccoons figured out how to escape pretty quickly.
    Guns in well populated areas are frowned upon, if not illegal to use. In Michigan you are supposed to be 300 feet from an occupied dwelling when discharging a firearm.
    However fences, electric or not, can work.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

I've trapped many a raccoon, plus possums, in my Hav-a-Hart trap. Sardines work well as a bait for raccoons.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

We trapped one in a Havahart and moved it to a woodsy area. But it is illegal in my area. When you move them to a new area they are not accepted by the local coons. You might be moving them from their babies. Sorry I am on the animals side or it seems so. A fence or an electric fence would be the only way I can think of keeping them out of your garden.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Zackey, a regular fence won't slow them down, like a 6' wood fence. They just climb over it. I live in Sugar Hill, GA where use of electrified fences is severely limited.

I lived in Fulton County for a long time. There, Animal Control pickup up raccoons and possums that had been trapped. The raccoons were all euthanized because of the high incidence of rabies. The possums were let out somewhere near FC Animal Control is a very big section of undeveloped land.

I feel it is unfair for a county to not serve its residents by making an individual trapping them illegal, while a licensed critter control person can do it. Someone tell me if there's any logical in that.

Right now I'm dealing with a rat infestation INSIDE. It's frustrating and disgusting and very hard to resolve.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

We have no animal control in my county, You can do whatever you want to do here. It is a very poor county. I lived in Vero Beach for 17 years and those were the rules there that I mentioned before. We never had them in our garden. Trap them in a Havahart and move them and hope you don't get caught is the only solution I can think of.

• ravenh2001
    10 years ago

I live in a clearing cut out of the woods. If townies decide to trap their coons and let them out in the woods they seem to let them out near my woods. Keep or kill your coons I realy don't want to have to start trapping townies. If you are realy organic plant them under a tree you want to grow.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

They are really good to eat if you can stand killing one and eating it. We have a game night dinner once a year at church. I thought the mystery meat was black bear. It was raccoon. Tons more tasty than beef. I would have never ate it if I knew what if was. We had two raccoon babies as pets.

• zyana
    9 years ago

Hi, these are some DIY tips for pest control. Very easy and it will not cost you much. These tips are extremely effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips On DIY On Pest Control

• renais1
    9 years ago

Havahart traps designed for the critters being targeted I have found to be well worth the investment. You may need to destroy the animal rather than move it; moving them is illegal in many areas, including ours. The state extention service may have suggestions on how to get rid of the trapped animals; ours does. It may seem like a pain to trap, but it may not be many animals that are causing the problem, and you will appreciate the reduced pressure on your garden. Coons are notorious for being able to overcome fencing, so I would think that a fence aimed at controling them would not only be costly, but might very well be ineffective.
    Renais