I need a root depths table of vegetable, and didn't find
on the internet.

Can you send me a link for it.

Thanks,

Ayala

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root depths of vegetables

Since I not seen anything like that I doubt one exists, what is it you are looking for? Carrots? Turnips? Kohlrabi? Root depth of beans?

o

You might try searching for info on necessary containter depth for container growing veggies. This might not be quite what you are looking for but it may help.
"Most vegetables and flowers have a rooting depth of 2
to 3 feet in good quality soil, but can be grown in shallower
soils. Plants whose roots are restricted will be
smaller, less productive and may produce smaller-sized
fruits. Small containers dry out more quickly, requiring
frequent watering. A minimum depth of 10 to 12 inches
is recommended for most plants exposed to drying wind
and sun. " Quote from the page in the link.

What is the purpose for needing this info, perhaps that will help me help you better.

Here is a link that might be useful: purdue

o

Here is an excellent resource. Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: ROOT DEVELOPMENT

o

thanks you are correct it is for the container growing veggies, and I did seach and did't find all the information. I don't have a specific veg as I would like first to do some "calculations and than to decide what to grow where (soil or container).
So i think your answer is good for me.

Sorry for the English...(from Israel)

o

g'day ayala,

most container gardeners are only using containers with depth ranges between say 12"s and 20"s, we use raised garden beds and only have a growing depth of around 10" to 12"s, it is not so much the depth needed but that the growing medium contains the nutrients & moisture needed. when we pull spent plants their roots are never deeper than the medium, they don't need to be.

even fruit trees take their nutrients from their feeder root system which is just below the surface and around the drip line zone.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

o

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

o

Avala,

In addition to what Len said, most of the commerical self watering units have about 6" of growing depth. The square foot gardening method calls for 6" as well and can have closed bottoms (making it a container).

When it comes to container growing I wouldn't think in terms of depth as much as I would volume. The greater the volume of potting soil the greater the volume of water it can hold. Unless you want to be watering multiple times per day (or have an automated system) you are going to do well to use large containers (5 gallons and up) for water hungry plants like melons, tomatos etc) and 1-3 gallons for most other veggies. Consistency of water supply pays off in terms of quality produce.

o

This may not be what you need, Ayala. However, in Israel and many areas of this country effective irrigation of field and row crops is of critical importance. Scrolling down to Table 2, one finds "maximum crop rooting depths, effective rooting depths for water management purposes."

Hope that helps you or others with similar questions.

Steve

o

Hi Ayala and everyone else!

I am also in Israel and this question interests me too as I am plannning on setting up a series of raised beds in my garden to grow vegetables organically. I am looking for advice both on the best depth for the raised beds (I was thinking 40-50 cm.) and also what to fill them with.

I have seen the mix recommended by Mel of square foot gardening and I can easily do the vermiculaite and home-made compost (with horse manure) but would like to avoid peat, if possible. What are the alternatives and how much compost, volumewise can I use? 50%?

Thanks
Joanna

o

I have grown stuff in almost 100% compost. This might not be optimal but it seemed to work well for a season. drawbacks of this method are that really soft loose compost doesn't provide as much support as a heavier mineral soil mix so some large plants tend to fall over. Mixing local soil or sand can help give more support. Oh, and if using large amounts of organic matter as a planting medium, you have to be prepared to add more regularly as it continues to break down.

o

Joanna, I think that only a few vegetables like spinach and radishes wouldn't benefit from somewhat greater depth than that - IF you have good deep top soil. But, I doubt if 5% of gardeners bother to go deeper than 40-50 cm (~18 inches). Remember that there's something you might think of as "unkind" subsoil below your top soil. The top soil may be considerably less than 40-50 cm and you don't want to incorporate much subsoil into it.

I found that double-digging a bed with a spade (something I seldom do), takes me down about 16 inches. Usually I'm preparing a bed with a spading fork with 11-inch tines and that's as deep as I go.

If I remember correctly, your plan for 40-50 cm is deeper than is common in square foot gardening but I don't really use that approach. There's a GW forum for that if you'd like to check with them.

Steve

o

I remember reading a book devoted to the subject of the root development of vegetables. It was a seminal work, published in 1927; but I can't remember its name or author. I borrowed a copy through MeL -- Michigan's email library. It's also included in that internet library of public domain agricultural books that is kept by an Australian; again my memory can't produce the name or address.

Some of the line drawings form the book are in Jeavons' "All the vegetables you can grow in less pace than you imagined". I have always been impressed by the huge depths -- 10 feet for beets (or it might have been 12) and 3 feet for lettuce come to mind. Regards, Peter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here