Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oyster tea

Posted by ka0ttic zone 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 10:46

A few weeks ago I bought a bushel of oysters for a cookout and there were about 2 dozen oysters leftover.

I just realized today that I accidentally forgot to take them out of the cooler lol.... so they've been sitting in water that was from the 2 bags of ice. I was expecting an awful stench when I opened the cooler but suprisingly they smell about the same as when they were fresh.

Any advantage or disadvantage of using this "oyster tea" on my veggies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oyster tea

Are the oysters still alive? They'd be tightly closed, if so. Just curious.

o

I have seen very little about using "oyster tea" to grow vegetables although they are supposed to enhance your libido and brain function. The shells, after some time and depending on how finely they are crushed, will add some Calcium to the soil.

o

rhizo, no they are not still alive.

kimmsr, yeah I wouldn't expect that too many people would make oyster tea on purpose just because of how expensive oysters are.

I did find this quote:

"This food is a good source of Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium."

*shrug* I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything but maybe I'll use it on something and just see what kind of results I get if any. I was more just curious than anything else and wanted to ask before I just threw it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here