Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

Tank you all

Michael
9 years ago

It occurred to me this Thanksgiving morning that I am thankful to you all for participating in this forum. You see, having spent many decades starting with 2 years of Voc. Ed. school in Horticulture while working in greenhouses, I then got a college degree in Horticulture and went on to 8 years of vegetable crop nutrition research at a different college. All of the while, when possible, I've gardned along the way growing veggies, small fruits, peaches, pears and apples. All of those experiencs and decades of growing have left me with a host of ways of growing crops successfully much of the time. On the down side, more recently, I seem to have stopped learning some and my mind has at times closed to trying different techniques.

That's where you all come in. Your posts help to cause me to reexamine what I've learned and also look back to more fully understand and remember what I have forgotten.

Thank you all very much.

P.S. Please be patient with me, I'm going on 2 years into brain cancer treatments.

Comments (11)

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you composting and vermicomposting guys ! It's a pleasure, a lot of fun and a sure way to acquire great knowledge to be round here !

Mickael, I do hope you're doing good. Your PS honestly saddened me. This shouldn't be allowed to happen to any poster round here, it's too much of a valuable crowd of abnormal weird people.

Happy Thanksgiving, do indulge into eating too much and don't forget to feed the leftovers to your pets (as if !) And to report and show photos of overcrowded carcasses ! And don't forget to thank your beloved ones for getting along with you and your wormeries !

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Michael. Several of my close friends are dealing with cancers as well. It is an absolute epidemic, it seems.

Take care, and have a great holiday. We don't know what will happen in the future, but we may grow crops and eat them while we can!

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

The Anti-Cancer Diet: Foods to Fight Cancer

http://www.everydayhealth.com/cancer-photos/top-foods-to-fight-cancer.aspx

Happy Turkey day

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, should have read thank you all, not tank you.

Francoise , thank you for your empathy, life is one new struggle after another but, I'm still fighting and not feeding the worms yet:)

Yes, growing crops is still on the list of things to do as always. I've got 2 basil, 1 chive and 1 Rosemary plant in the south window for the Winter now. They love the sun and are doing great!

The holiday has been wonderful so far, hope yours is too.

The wife loves to see me pursuing the gardening but worries a bit about my being on a ladder in the fruit trees.

Pn : if you go to a cancer treatment center you'll be amazed how many people are battling this crap with NO guarantees of beating it.

Yes, the future is one big .? Gotta keep positive and plan the garden for next year like nothing's amiss and keep laughing.

Hope your holiday was wonderful!

• MrClint
    9 years ago

michael357, all the best to you and your family. So nice of you to share your background story, it helps a lot to know where people are coming from. The Internet can be rather impersonal, sometimes harsher than the real world too.

I'm going to suggest that you check out the book that I have linked below (if you haven't already). All gardening is local, so you will need to "transpose" her reasoning to your region.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Clint, impersonal and anonymous. Thanks for the reading idea, the list grows :)

And gardening is very much local, topography, latitude, longitude, soils, water quality, available resources, etc..

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

michael357, I had a robins egg sized brain tumor removed this past summer, followed by radiation, and am now doing chemo.

Does sort of knock one for a loop.

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David: if I could figure out how to get to my preferences page I'd enable you to reply via e mail, and I to you. It would be great to be in touch with you to compare notes, so to speak. Please, give it a try.

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Michael, I sent you an email.

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tanks David:) got it.

• Michael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David, would you please resend the e mail to me, I managed to lose your address, will try to do better next time. Next MRI is mid January, lousy time to take a long drive out here for what I refer to as a medical vacation (with tongue in cheek).

How's your noggin doing?