Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pecan leaves OK for composting??

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 12:09

I compost all our tree leaves (fruit trees, mulberry, ash)into our gardens but was wondering if I could also use the leaves from our pecan tree as compost? I've heard not to use walnut leaves but wasn't sure of the pecan leaves. I believe the big pecan groves here in NM use the shells as compost in the groves but there is nothing else grown in the groves but pecans.

Would appreciate advice before I toss the leaves away!

- vieja

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pecan leaves OK for composting??

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 14:51

Pecan leaves are fine. So are walnut leaves.

o

Is the juglone found in black walnut neutralized during the composting process?

o

My experience is that the Black Walnut leaves and nuts do not contain enough Juglone to be of any concern. I have used just Black Walnut leaves as a mulch and found no growth suppressing qualities apparent, except the "weeds" I covered up, or quack grass growing in places I put down heavy layers of Shredded Black Walnut leaves. I have seen thios property at work where the trees roots run, but not where I have used the leaves, nut hulls, or branches trimmed off the trees.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 15:00

It was asked:
"Is the juglone found in black walnut neutralized during the composting process?"

Composting breaks it down, thus it is inactivated.

o

All the leaves and nuts as well as the shells will break down, as already indicated, it is the bacteria and little bugs, let alone the heat generated that breaks anything organic, into what we know as a quality soil with the nutrients and goodness enjoyed for healthier plants

Here is a link that might be useful: www.gardeningforyou.com

o

Yes, they will be fine to use for compost. Just let them decompose as normal. You can also use pecan shells and hulls for composting and mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: pecan leaf

o
RE: pecan flowers

Are the flowers of the pecan tree suitable for composting?

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 6, 11 at 19:21

Yes, I know persons who used pecan waste,mostly shells & bits of nut meat as compost & mulch in their garden.
The garden was like walking on a sponge.
Black wall nuts outer shell should never be put near Tomatoes,peppers, egg plants & roses because the black spot live on them.
Sorry no link.But as the above posts state correctly, after composting the juglone & black spot neutralized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here