Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
techdude101

Dispose of compost with fertilizer

techdude101
10 years ago

I have a few pots full of compost with pellets, maybe osmocote.
I don't want to use this compost for growing veggies, but on the other hand I don't want to throw it in the garbage/bin.

Can I safely add this compost to my compost pile?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Yes, no problem.

If there was sign of or known disease issues on the plants you grew in that soil and your compost doesn't get adequately hot, then it's not advised, though. That's not an issue for most people.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

While Osmocot is not an acceptable product for organic growers small quantities can be added to compost piles with little concern. Whether the compost gets "hot" or not is not an issue unless plant diseases are of concern.
    A lot of synthetic fertilizers such as Osmocot should be of concern to any organic grower.

• the_virginian
    10 years ago

It will break down in a compost pile harmlessly given a reasonable amount of time.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I believe that many organic growers have adopted too stiff a regimen for their growing practices. Common sense should prevail. Growing organic should be a goal not a religion. Minor variations to your growing practices should not be a concern when the vast majority of your growing practices adhere to organic techniques. For example the presence of a minor amount of chemical fertilizer in the compost is not a big deal when mixed with other compost and allowed to cook.

• Lloyd
    10 years ago

VoR to Charlie.

Lloyd

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Charlie, organic gardening isn't a religion, it is a commitment. Don't criticize those who have more of a commitment than you do. Common sense is much more applicable to organic gardening than synthetic additives by not adding poisons. It's okay if you are less committed but don't criticize them. I wish I was better at it. JMO

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Organic growing needs to have standards to be followed or the practice becomes just any other type of gardening, Many of us do adhere to strict standards and will point out to others that what they are doing does not meet those standards. That may not be criticism but will be information because there are those that sell products as acceptable for organic growers when they are not.
    Just as the conglomerates are attempting to dilute the already weak national organic standards there are those that will attempt to weaken the standards many of us do live by.

• sshrivastava
    10 years ago

It's fine to grow 100% organic, but growing 75% organic or even 50% organic is better than not. It's hypocritical to criticize someone for saying that organic gardening is not a religion and to use common sense, then turn around and say:

"growing needs to have standards to be followed or the practice becomes just any other type of gardening, Many of us do adhere to strict standards and will point out to others that what they are doing does not meet those standards."

Well aren't you special! You adhere to strict standards and that is your choice. But it's not an "all or nothing" proposition, despite what you want others to believe. You are happy living your life on a soapbox, and that's your choice. Others have made different, more achievable and middle-ground choices based on their lifestyles and the amount of time they are willing to devote to their gardening.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I have a few pots full of compost with pellets, maybe osmocote

Since you apparently used them to grow something in the past, even with the osmocote or whatever, then obviously you aren't an organic purist like some. Your question is a reasonable one and should be answered objectively rather than used as a format for preaching.

So yes, you can add it to your compost where it will continue to decompose just like everything in a compost pile does over time. The more active your pile the faster it will decompose - just like anything else in the pile. But even a passive pile works and results in perfectly good compost that can be used in any manner you see fit to use..

Dave

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

"Charlie, organic gardening isn't a religion, it is a commitment. Don't criticize those who have more of a commitment than you do. Common sense is much more applicable to organic gardening than synthetic additives by not adding poisons. "

There are no poisons in osmocote.

Commitment without reasoning and understanding is never a good thing. It's fanatacism, and its scary.