Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to experiment?

Posted by nandina 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 13:50

This is directed to those in the deep south such as FL or TX growing winter gardens with bug problems. Also to greenhouse growers who are fighting gnats or white fly. Recent readings lead me to think that it might be interesting to trial the following idea.

Pare the skin from a large cucumber (or 2 smaller cucumbers). Buzz the skins with 1 cup of filtered or bottled water in a food processor. Let stand for 24 hours. Strain, pour liquid into a gallon jug and fill to the top with water. Spray this on the plants troubled by insects. An easy experiment. Try it and report your observations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to experiment?

This sounds interesting... once, like almost 30 years ago, I read that cucumber skins, without the white part were toxic to roaches! So, with that in mind, betcha it would work.

o
RE: Want to experiment?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 21:28

Not that deep here in South Carolina, but I have used a onion & 3 cloves of garlic in a gallon of water.
Learned this from a man in TX.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here